SRS Alcoholism

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SickOfItAll, Sep 27, 2007.

1. SickOfItAll

SickOfItAll The Bartender

I am an alcoholic, and I need to stop drinking.

I drink to an extent where the DTs are a distinct possibility. I don't want to go through that again. I'm agnostic. AA will not work for me - I do not believe in a higher power. RR is my best bet, but that's besides the point.

I need to quit drinking. I drink several liters of liquor each week. How can I quit without withdrawals? What's the best method to avoid recidivism?

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

There is a chapter in the big book of AA called "We Agnostics". I'm not kidding. How do you know AA won't work for you if you didn't even know that that chapter existed??? How do you know AA won't work for you until you work the program??

Don't let all the talk of God keep you away. Many, many AAs call it a higher power and guess what....a lot of people use the group as their higher power. You know why?? Because as a group, they are certainly a power greater than the individual.

Don't be so quick to dismiss AA. If you really want help, just set aside all the talk of a HP until later. Get in, get a sponsor, start working the steps. After a period of time (say 1 year), then evaluate whether or not AA will work for you. If it doesn't we'll gladly refund your misery with interest. :)

Oh and just so you know....I had a friend in AA (she's since passed away) who was sober for 7 years before she ever "came to believe". Let me tell you....she had issues with the higher power part of the program. However, she was able to get and stay sober for 7 years before she worked it all out and it made sense to her. I think she had something like 15-20 years of continuous sobriety when she passed away.

So why not go to AA?? You've really got nothing to lose right?

3. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Are you self medicating for depression/anxiety?
    Sometimes if you fix the underlying problem, drinking is easier to quit.

4. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

why dont you try step 1 first? I am an atheist with over 8 years clean bro. I found NA to be less "goddy" than AA, but still, belief in a deity is not required for recovery.