SRS alcoholic question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by victimizati0n, May 27, 2008.

1. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

i was posting about my father on OT a while back, and someone said he was an alcoholic, and it has been bothering me ever since

basically, my dad was at the doctors, dont remember the reason why, i think it was shoulder pains.

anyways the doctor asked my dad if he drank alcohol, and he replied that he likes his beers (he had a stressful job, and would come home and have a few beers in the evening, rarely got drunk), then the doctor asked him if he could quit if he wanted to, and my dad didnt really know how to answer that, so he just said i dont see why not

after he got home, he was so offended about the doctor asking him if he could quit drinking he stopped drinking that night, and hasnt had one since (hell, its been about 5 or 6 years now)

i guess he has a huge ego, but he wolnt touch anything with alcohol in it, like nyquil, etc just for the fact he can say he hasnt had any alcohol.

i dont really see how someone could say he was an alcoholic because of that :dunno: what do you guys think?

2. Mr. Technical

Mr. Technical Welcome to America, Comrades. I think you will lik

when a healthcare worker asks that question its not meant to offend anyone. they personally dont care if people do things that will eventually kill them, its just job security. they only need to know for medical purposes. being offended or embarrassed by medical questions (aside from "how did that shampoo bottle get up there" :hsugh:) is silly, except when it makes someone quit drinking. then its the best question that could have been asked.

your dad is the man.

3. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

Even if he manages to take a break if he goes back to drinking every day he is an alcoholic. Even my alcoholic father can take breaks, but in the end he always goes right back to it.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Let me see if I got this right:
    A) Someone asks your dad if he can quit?
    B) He gets pissed and just to show them he's NOT an alcoholic, he quits.....for 5 to 6 years?
    C) You're confused if he's an alcoholic or not?

Does that about sum it up?

Non alcoholics don't run around trying to prove that they aren't alcoholics. They just don't.

The fact that your dad got so pissed from a simple question indicates that he may be an alcoholic because his reaction is something that A LOT of alcoholics would do.

No one in AA should ever say your dad is or is not an alcoholic. It's just not what we do, we don't diagnose people. But we can tell you about what we know of the disease and what we know about our own struggles with it.

There's no way to prove you aren't an alcoholic. There's also no way to prove you are one. So really it boils down to analyzing behaviors and emotions and things like that. Your dad may not be one but the fact that he found it necessary to quit and stay away from ALL alcohol makes me think that he was seriously worried about it.

But that's OK.....there's a lot worse things to be in the world than an alcoholic.

5. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

he had no problems quitting drinking, its not like it was hard for him.

if he were an alcoholic, then dont you guys think he would have slipped once, and gone back to drinking?

i dont think an alcoholic can just quit on their first time, they almost always slip up

now, alcholism does run in my family, so maybe he was afraid of becoming one after the doctor asked him

6. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

An alcoholic can only get sober and stay that way by being honest with himself. Whether your dad is an alcoholic or not isn't important. Him being true to himself is.

7. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

i guess that is true, but i have no doubt that my dad could just relax and drink a beer and be totally fine and not "start drinking again"

8. okietiger

okietiger New Member

I am a alcoholic and i will be sober 3 years the 11th of june. I quit because I knew I had a problem and I was sick of being sick and tired of the way I was. I dont know what will happen 5 minutes from now but I hope to be sober. I think once someone admits to themselves they have a problem or a alcoholic then they are on the right track.

9. Coottie

You're hung up on the definition of an alcoholic. It's ok but it's really not important. Seriously it just doesn't matter.

Here's the thing, your dad used to drink and it was causing problems. He quit and isn't having problems.....so the definition really doesn't matter. Right?

10. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

Another AA okie? :hs:

And congrats on the near 3 years :bigthumb:

11. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

how would you "quit" more than once? there is probably a lot more too his decision than you will ever know.

12. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

what do you mean he was having problems?

he hurt his shoulder and the doctor asked him if he drank, because he was going to give him pain medication, then the doctor asked him if he could quit drinking while on the medication

this in turn pissed me dad off for the doctor thinking he may have a problem with not being able to stop drinking, so he quit drinking just to prove it to himself he could

ok, i dont think an alcoholic can just be like im going to quit drinking now, and actually do it

i know a few people who are alcoholics and they have "quit" before, but it never lasted more than a few days

13. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

see im saying that is not quiting

14. Coottie

So why does this thread exist?

You're asking if he's an alcoholic but you seem obsessed with that definition.

My point was, the definition doesn't matter right? Your dad has sorted his shit out.

15. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

I think thatthere is negative and postitive in how your doctor and father held this situation.

Positive - Dad has enforced control on himself, and KNOWS he can stop drinking if he wanted to.

Positive - Doctor was being medically sound telling you dad to stop drinking due to the meds/ symptoms.

Negative -Your father resents being considered something he is not, and IN MY OPINION was not complete with his own ability to control his substance use - meaning that he was not sure, and decided to just cut it out anyway, which is a good thing. No poison is better then poison anyday.

Negative - Doctor "should" ( or replace that with I would prefered it if) have provided psychoeducation on the use of alcohol and meds/symptoms of pain rather then saying "can you stop".

Our society DOES have a new powerful set of deeply rooted moralistic judgments over substance use and its implications, and your father was a victim of that violence. Guess what? Not drinking is one answer, an answer many, many people with "addictions" and without "addictions" choose. I rarely drink, so I can not tell you the answer, and even if I did drink more frequently, the answer would be equally an informed opinion and not an absolute truth.

16. adamvese

adamvese New Member

if he was an alcoholic, maybe the doctor got him on a diversion program or something, why else would he even go to the extent of not touching nyquil, lol