Alcohol does not contribute to weight gain.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by michael, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

Alcohol, Calories & Weight

Drinking alcohol does not contribute to weight gain, according to scientific medical research.
    The Data

Alcohol contains calories, but drinking alcohol doesn't lead to weight gain, according to extensive medical research, and many studies report a small reduction in weight for women who drink. 1

The reason that alcohol doesn't increase weight is unclear, but research suggests that alcohol energy is not efficiently used. 2 Alcohol also appears to increase metabolic rate significantly, thus causing more calories to be burned rather than stored in the body as fat. 3 Other research has found consumption of sugar to decrease as consumption of alcohol increases. 4

Whatever the reasons, the consumption of alcohol is not associated with weight gain and is often associated with weight loss in women. The medical evidence of this is based on a large number of studies of thousands of people around the world. 5 Some of these studies are very large; one involved nearly 80,000 and another included 140,000 subjects.

Alcohol beverages contain no fat, no cholesterol, and very little sodium. Of course, the nutritional value of different alcohol beverages varies.

The moderate consumption of alcohol is associated with better health and longer life than is either abstaining from alcohol or abusing alcohol. However, the health benefits of drinking are associated with moderation [learn more about Alcohol and Health]. On the other hand, heavy drinking is associated with cirrhosis of the liver, breast cancer, and other health problems. The key word is moderation.
    What is Moderation?

Moderation is often described in the US as two drinks a day for a man and one drink a day for a women. These drinks can't be "saved" over time and then drunk in one day. A drink is:
    Standard Drinks

Standard Drinks graphically illustrates information on the equivalence of standard drinks of beer, wine and distilled spirits or liquor. Its accuracy has been established by medical and other health professionals.
    a 12-ounce bottle or can of regular beer
    a five-ounce glass of dinner wine
    a shot of liquor or spirits (either straight or in a mixed drink)

Remember that the alcohol content of standard drinks are equivalent [learn more about Alcohol Equivalence]. A drink is a drink is a drink. To a breathalyzer, they're all the same. 6 For more, visit Standard Drinks.

Most countries define moderation at higher levels of consumption than does the US. For example, Australia, Italy and France consider from 3 to over four drinks per day for men to be moderate drinking. People are all different. To decide what level is appropriate for you, consult your doctor.

1. Kahn, H. S., et al. Stable behaviors associated with adults' 10-year change in body mass index and the likelihood of gain at the waist. American Journal of Public Health, 1997, 87(5), 747-754; Prentice, A. M. Alcohol and obesity. International Journal of Obesity, 1995, 19(Suppl. 5), S44-S50; Liu, S., et al. A prospective study of alcohol intake and change in body weight among US adults. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1994, 140(10), 912-920; Hellerstedt, W. L., et al. The association between alcohol intake and adiposity in the general population. American Journal of Epidemiology, 1990, 132(4), 594-611.

2. Prentice, A. M. Alcohol and obesity. International Journal of Obesity, 1995, 19(Suppl. 5), S44-S50.

3. Klesges, R. C., et al. Effects of alcohol intake on resting energy expenditure in young women social drinkers. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1994, 59, 805-809.

4. Colditz, G., et al. Alcohol intake in relation to diet and obesity in women and men. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1991, 54, 49-55.

5. Jequier, E. Alcohol intake and body weight: a paradox. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1999, 69, 173-174; Kahn, H. S., et al. Stable behaviors associated with adults' 10-year change in body mass index and the likelihood of gain at the waist. American Journal of Public Health, 1997(5), 747-754; Mannisto, S., et al. Alcohol beverage drinking, diet and body mass index in a cross-national survey, European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1997, 151, 326-332; Cordain, L., et al. Influence of moderate daily wine consumption upon body weight regulation and metabolism in healthy free living males. Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 1997, 16(2), 134-139; Mannisto, E., et al. Reported alcohol intake, diet and body mass index in male smokers. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1996, 50, 239-245; Landis, W. E. M.. Alcohol and energy intake. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1995, 62(suppl.), 11015-11068; Istvan, J., et al. The relationship between patterns of alcohol consumption and body weight, International Journal of Epidemiology, 1995, 24(3), 543-546; Prentice, A. M. Alcohol and obesity. International Journal of Obesity, 1995, 19(suppl. 5), S44-S50; Liu, S., et al. A proscriptive study of alcohol intake and change in body weight among US adults. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1994, 140(10), 912-920; Klesges, R. C., et al. Effects of alcohol intake on resting energy expenditure in young women social drinkers. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1994, 59, 805-809; Colditz, G., et al. Alcohol intake in relation to diet and obesity in women and men. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1991, 54, 49-55; Hellerstedt, W. L., et al. The association between alcohol intake and adiposity in the general population. American Journal of Epidemiology, 1990, 132(4), 594-611.

6. These are standard drink sizes. Of course, five ounces of a dessert wine contains more alcohol, as does a higher content beer or ale, or a distilled spirit higher thatn the typical 80 proof. The equivalent sizes for these drinks would differ from those of standard druinks, a fact that drinkers should keep in mind. Carrol, C. R. Drugs in Modern Society. Boston, Massachusetts: McGraw-Hill, 2000, p. 77. Because standard drinks are equivalent in alcohol content, it is misleading to refer to spirits as "hard liquor," which implies that drinking distilled spirits leads more quickly or easily to intoxication than other alcohol beverages.

2. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

I don't care what research is done, that shit is not true.

3. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

lulz. me neither. i just saw it online and decided to post it :o

4. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

drinking doesnt cause it. its all the shit you eat when your drunk

5. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

late night stops at steak and shake
    ftw

6. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

same going in as going out.

7. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

i just drink to the point that i puke then pass out

8. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

i weigh the same as i did when all i did was drink and party.

9. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

your doing it wrong. i wake up about 7 - 10 lbs "leaner" fucking water is out like a mofo :bowdown:

10. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford New Member

Who gives a fuck about weight gain when;

11. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

thats why we supplement testosterone :slap:

12. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford New Member

It directly inhibits the body's ability to ingest protein.

brah.

13. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

I love drinking but I am taking a break from it this summer and its doing wonders in the gym.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  14. snocone2001

snocone2001 New Member

I'm drunk don't wanna read that right now

15. Sims.0

Sims.0 New Member

when i drink i wake up lean as fuck as well but as the day goes on i begin to notice i start holding a shitload of water

16. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

give me a friggin break :rofl:

17. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

ah ya cause it dehydrates you

18. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

bull fucking shit to thread title

19. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Alcohol itself doesn't turn into fat cells, true.

But we already know that it stalls metabolising :dunno:

20. Request.

Request. OT Supporter

Not to mention the metabolism slow down.

21. Netbastard

Netbastard OT Supporter

drank 8 beers last night....didn't gain weight.

22. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

:werd: when i come home tired and drunk the last thing i do is feel like cooking shit.

23. Cyrus The Virus

Cyrus The Virus Sha-Sha-Sha-Shiba

I look amazing after a night of some hard liquor :cool:

24. Netbastard

Netbastard OT Supporter

ya I had a few beers last night looked in the mirror this morning and was like WTF I had abs. On my 2nd 24oz water right now so when I hit the gym at noon abs will not be found.

25. Cyrus The Virus

Cyrus The Virus Sha-Sha-Sha-Shiba

yeah it doesn't last long thats for sure :rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.