alarm goes off in computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jimmy Jockstrap, Oct 11, 2006.

1. This alarm goes off every so often, it stops when I restart/shut down.

I was told on another forum that it's because the computer is hot, n i should open up the box and vacuum it out?

is this correct?

is it always teh computer tower/box that is the problem or could it be my monitor is hot?

temp1: 29c
    temp2:50-51c, green tick -fire, down to 49c, green tick now
    HDO: 29c
    "Fire" temp1: 65C

fan1: 0 RPM
    fan2: 2519rpm

green,red,grey,blue when i click the charts

Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
    I/O properly initialized
    Linked ISA BUS at $0290
    Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
    Winbond W83697HF (ID=$60) found on ISA at $290
    SuperIO Chip=Winbond W83697HF
    SMART Enabled for drive 0
    Found ST380011A (80.0GB)
    Found ACPI temperature (64.5C)
    End of detection

THERE IS ALSO THIS VCORE STUFF. do you want me to post it as well?

thanx

voltage chart

green
    red
    grey
    blue

lime
    dark green
    yellow
    pink

Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
    I/O properly initialized
    Linked ISA BUS at $0290
    Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
    Winbond W83697HF (ID=$60) found on ISA at $290
    SuperIO Chip=Winbond W83697HF
    SMART Enabled for drive 0
    Found ST380011A (80.0GB)
    Found ACPI temperature (38.0C)
    End of detection

temp2:57c

"Speedfan is only going to tell you what your current temps are. It's not going to do a thing about shutting off the alarm. People have recommended you install it so you can look at what the temp readings are when the alarm sounds. If something looks hot, chances are that is the tripping the alarm.

The ones to watch will be CPU, and probably a case temp, and maybe a power module temp too. You'll need to work out what "temp1" and so on that speedfan is reporting are measuring. Your motherboard manufacturer may include some temp monitoring software that might be easier to use than speedfan if you're not too sure.

Once you've worked out what is likely to be tripping the alarm, you can go do something about making sure the alarm doesn't trip in the future. There are two basic approaches: make whatever is hot cooler, or adjusting the alarm settings so it is harder to trip the alarm.

You'll probably find the alarm settings in your BIOS somewhere. You know how to access your BIOS, right?

Once you track down where the alarm settings are, you can go about going through them, and seeing what the current settings for each sensor are. Post those here, and we can help you tell if those figures are realistic or not. We'll need details of what CPU you have too. And motherboard, if you know that.

If they aren't realistic (i.e. set too low), just change them, and with any luck your alarms won't go off any more. Do I need to say that it's unwise to go fiddling with them unless you know what are sensible values? The whole point of having the alarms (and possibly auto-shutdown too, if temps get really high) is to help protect your PC if things go wrong.

If the alarm settings look good, then chances are your PC is just filling up with dust or something. Time to turn it off, unplug it, take it outside, take the covers off and stick your head in and give a good blow. Or something like that :) More drastic stuff, like reseating heatsinks, using superdooper thermal grease, or buying bigger heatsinks probably isn't going to be needed if it has been running fine before and you haven't been otherwise fiddling around inside"

2. bump

It happens when I use disk cleanup. i click disk cleanup, get the 45kb-old files,,65kb deleted files ... dialog box then when i confirm delete the alarm goes off

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2006
  3. assassin

assassin New Member

It is a continuous loud sharp beep? Then its definately over heating.

Do you have any blanking plates missing from the back of the PC? That can stop the airflow inside your PC.

Cleaning can definately help but dont use the vaccum cleaner, the static from that can zap your components. Buy some cleaning spray and anti-static cloth from your local PC shop.

If all fails you'll have to get a new power source with a better fan.

4. Synner

Synner New Member

Maybe that has something to do with it. Could just be an alarm that the pc thinks a fan has failed, and it's not hooked up. If you're not having actual issues except the alarm, look into that. My guess would be that you've got the CPU fan hooked up to a System Fan header on the motherboard. Or, again, it could just be a fan that was never hooked up.

5. im pretty sure all my fans work. so it might be something not connected. Ill probably contact the manufacturer.