Akira Kurosawa

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by glass, Jul 20, 2005.

1. glass

glass New Member

i've just watched Sanjuro, and The Seven Samurai for the second time. i'm really beginning to like this guy as a director, and am starting to see what the fuss around his name is all about.

some questions;
    - according to imdb.com, "Kakushi toride no san" (aka "The Hidden Fortress") was one of the inspirations for Star Wars. as many times as i watched Star Wars, i could never really see a clear running plot to it, so it's hard to believe a medieval samurai flick could serve as an inspiration. what parallels are there exactly?

- again, according to imdb.com, Akira Kurosawa made a film based on something by Fyodor Dostoevsky. i looked up Dostoevsky on imdb.com and couldn't find said film. anyone have a clue which one that was?

2. vhx1

vhx1 shit thunder crap lightning

Dostoevsky is a book author. I read one of his books in a high school class. Can't remember the title though. I'll post more if i find out

3. glass

glass New Member

yup.. he's one of my favorite authors, which is why i was surprised. i just can't see Crime and Punishment as a samurai movie -_-

but yeah, on Dostoevsky's imdb.com page, i didn't see credits to any japanese-sounding movie titles.