GUN AK or AR?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Artyboy, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I know that you can pick up an AR-15 for around $800 easily. What's the normal price on an AK? I saw a couple for around $350 this weekend. Also, what are the major advantages of an AR over an AK? Are there more legal restrictions over an AK? Is it harder to find ranges that allow people to shoot AKs?

2. mrbill

mrbill New Member

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I own both and like both, AR definently more accurate, AK is accurate enough out to 3-400 yards, AR has better sights, AR has more accessories, you can swap calibers with the push of two pins, AR can be finicky with ammo, AK will eat up whatever you want to feed, corrosive 1950's ammo? no problem? wolf that sat in my trunk all winter and got wet and has surface rust? no problem, AK is half the price of the AR, right now ammo prices are similiar, when wolf production catches up AK ammo prices should drop again, magazine prices are similair but occasionally real good deals pop up on ak mag packages.

AK's are foriegn made so you got to play the parts count game but its not that much of a hassle. I dont know of any ranges that dont allow AK's some indoor ranges may not allow FMJ rounds but no big deal get HP's or SP's.

If I could only own one of the two type of rifles I'd keep my AK's.

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

both ftw

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd:

6. black96gtvert

black96gtvert "Is that goal regulation size or what!" -Happy Gil

ak first since its cheapr and fun also a bigger round. then ar15. thats the way i went and i was happy.

7. Artyboy

That's probably what I'll end up doing then. It sounds smart and I can always trade up if I decide I don't like the AK.

8. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Romanian SAR-1 is the cheapest. But be warned the stock furniture gives a very short length of pull. So if you don't like short rifles you may want to look into new furniture or a different rifle.

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

IMO best bang for the buck is the arsenal rifles starting around $500, cheapest is the romanian century imports but sometimes you end up with trigger slap cause of the crappy quality USA trigger parts the century monkeys put it or front sight bases that are little off, repairable problems but can be annoying. If you goto a show and find a reasonably priced MAK90 there good, no real problems with any of the chinese built guns. Caliberwise you got your choice of 7.62, 5.45, 5.56, the 7.62 and 5.45 have plenty of cheap mags available, good 5.56 mags are a little pricier, 7.62 accurate enough out to 300 yards, 5.45 and 5.56 are good out to 400 or so. Only thing I dont have yet is a 5.56 AK which ill get eventually I'm happy with the russian calibers though I guess I'm a purist.

Just say what you want to spend and I'll send you in the right direction.

10. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

The best buy going right now is the Century Yugoslavian M70AB2. It's an underfolding rifle built on a new American made stamped receiver with a new American barrel and other Yugo kit parts. The Yugo AKs use RPK trunnions, thicker receivers, and heavier barrels, making it heavy for an AK but a nice, beefy rifle. You can get one for ~500 bucks.

[​IMG]

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

RPK's are good, like was said earlier built a little thicker but then I never seen properly made regular akm reciever fail, bit better accuracy with the longer barrel.

heres a few around your price range
    Arsenal SSR85 slightly over budget, well made wont need to replace any trigger parts, excellent build quality good finish, nice furniture.
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=260
    same with wood if you prefer wood
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=188

VEPR K Russian made, excellent quality, not quite the typical AKM pattern though, thicker rpk type reciever
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=18

Yugo M70 build by Century, haven't gotten to handle one due to NY law we cant have folders unless its preban :mad: if its a typical century build finish will be hit or miss, internals may need to be replaced if they're still using the same crappy ones they stick in the SAR's and WASR's, $40-80 for replacment parts Tapco G2 being the cheap end, and Red Star Arms being high end.
    http://aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_AK_M70AB2_7.62x39_Under-Folder_Rifle.html

WASR - Romanian parts put together buy century monkeys, wood may look good or may look like shit but it can be sanded and refinished and look real nice, crappy trigger parts, I'm not a fan of the WASR it was made as a low capacity single stack magazine accepting rifle and dremeled out to take standard AK mag's, easy to distinguish by its lack of dimples on the side of the magwell.
    http://aimsurplus.com/acatalog/NEW_AK_WASR_RIFLE_w__Bayonet_Lug___Muzzle_Break.html

You might be able to find a little bit better prices on the guns listed on atlantic's website I just used them as an example cause I knew they stocked those particular rifles. AIM is probably the cheapest place you'll find any of the romanian guns though.

12. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

They're far from typical Century builds, check out all the reviews on arfcom and ak47.net :cool:

13. black96gtvert

black96gtvert "Is that goal regulation size or what!" -Happy Gil

I have a romanian sar-1 i like it.

14. Artyboy

I just want something cheap to start out with. It doesn't have to be able to handle a 100 round drum (I'll probably never buy one for it). I just want something that doesn't jam when you're in a jam :mamoru:(I know that was terrible).

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

M70 is probably best bet then, $40 or whatever more then the WASR but it's well worth it, its not a hacked up reciever.

16. Gai

Gai New Member

Also in the group that says either would serve you well. You really can't go wrong here unless you buy a lemon.

17. int3rnal

int3rnal Active Member

18. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The one is built by Vector, most people seem to think there pretty good too, I think they use a mix of parts though, may have hungarian or polish in it. Functionally there both probably equal, fit and finish the Arsenal would be slightly ahead.

19. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

Ar-180

20. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I own a Bulgarian Arsenal SLR 105R (stamped receiver, 5.45x39 AK) and its an awesome rifle. Ammo has been a bit tough to come by lately.

I'm a little pissed that I spent almost $500 on this rifle when now, a year and a half later, these excellent Yugo's come out in 7.62x39.
    The RPK inspired design mean stronger parts anda few bucks spent on a new trigger assmebly will give results similar to my rifle for less than I paid.

You can't go wrong with an AK
    An AR on the other hand...when the piece of shit refuses to work with Wolf ammo, you can always brag about accuracy with match grade stuff...while I plink with shit the AR would never digest.

21. Artyboy

22. striker754

striker754 Chillin

That is not an AR then.

Build an AK.