GUN Ak-47

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Johnny Chimpo, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

to my understanding, these are now illegal in the us. correct me if im wrong though, as i would love to purchase one of these.

also, can you guys tell me more about all the variants that are out there now?
    pros? cons?

thanks.

2. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

No ak47s clones or the real select fire models are illeagal depending on where you live.

3. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

They are not illegal in the US. They may be illegal in your state.

4. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

okay.. let me give you the run down.

The original Ak-47 was full auto. Full autos have always been legal, ONLY if you have a special class III license, which requires a signature from your sheriff most of the time, and a $200 tax stamp.

But the typical "AK" is really an "AK-varient". They are semi-automatic. They have always been legal. The difference is, a month ago when the "assault weapon ban" expired, now you can have stupid "evil" (and i quote) features that you couldnt have on the gun before, like a bayonet lug or a flash suppressor. The media makes it out like AK-47's were always illegal until the AW ban ended, its a little more complicated then that. The AW Ban was pointless dog shit that banned asthetic features.

5. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Well, not quite…

You don't need a "class III license" to own Title II items (full auto, suppressors, SBR, SBS, AOW). You only need to pay the tax which is $200 ($5 for AOW).

Only domestically produced AK variants are exempt from the import ban of '89. You still can not put "evil" features on a rifle that has more than 10 import parts.

6. spartan

spartan Guest

And it is the import ban that many confuse with the Assault Weapons Ban.

Also, if memory serves correct, only fully auto receivers imported and registered before 1986 can be transferred to civilians. Will check on this an post back.

7. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Yep. '86 was the cutoff for registration of privately owned full auto arms. This is why it is very unlikely that any privately owned Glock 18's exist in this country.

8. spartan

spartan Guest

And why I wish they would produce a semi-auto FN P90...

9. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

they'd have to make it here. you still have the import ban.

i wish they'd start making FNC's here. ORF is making FNC recievers, and importing the parts kits, so there will be some more FNC's hitting the market, but they're going to be around $2000, so i won't be getting one.

10. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

okay i missed some technicalities, i always thought that the full-auto/supressors license was called a class III.

11. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

If you are selling them, yes. There is no license to own.

12. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

FYI the only REAL AK-47s or AKM's ever legally imported into the US were Vietnam Bringbacks (actually they were illegally imported, but some were legally registered during the 1968 amnesty period)

all other full autos are converted semi autos.

and theres plenty of semi clones in the US, and now they are being produced here too (usually with foreign parts kit.

13. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

and still no answeres to my q's.....

14. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

What?

You looking for something like SAR-1 > *.* or some shit like that? What questions weren't answered?????

15. spartan

spartan Guest

Alright, to your first statement: No, they are not illegal to own in the us. Not even the full auto ones, it just takes some different hoops to jump through to get one. The semi auto's vary widely.

To you second question: There are way way too many varients out there to really detail them here.

This site: http://www.ak-47.net/ has plenty of information for you to read about.

Generally though:

Any AK-clone available will be pretty reliable, give or take some bugs from each particular manufacturer. AK's tend to be one of *the* most reliable battle carbines out there with lots of anecdotal stories about guys in various situations really mucking them up and them still working. The reason for this tends to be credited to the very loose tolerances to which an AK is built.

As a result of this, they will digest pretty much any ammo out there and tend to love the Wolf brand steel cased stuff. The only thing though is that an AK is not a weapon that you are going to use to do any real precision work with.

Some people have reported shooting a 1" MOA or better, but that is extremely rare. Expect something more in the 2-3 MOA range, which is perfectly acceptable for ranges the AK was designed to operate, which is generally considered 300yds as a maximum effective range. The 7.62x39R intermediate round that the AK fires does some really strange things ballistically after about 250yds.

Hope that gives you a bit more information here on OT, but I would highly recommend reading AK47.net as it can give you all the info you want on varients.

16. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter

AK47-Milled Receiver
    AKM-Stamped Receiver
    AKS-Folding stock.

17. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

questions answered. thank you sir.

how much should i expect to pay for one?
    i've heard anywhere from 300-500.

18. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Cheapest I've seen was $280 for a Romanian, but if you want soemthing really good, spend $600 or so and get yourself a VEPR or one from Arsenal Inc.

19. spartan

spartan Guest

Since the sunset of the AWB, prices are currently all over the place. Pick up a copy of the Shotgun News or browse gunbroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com) for some ideas on current prices. They range anywhere from $150 (used, saw this at a local gunshop this weekend) all the way up to over $1000, depending on stock, country of manufacture, whether it is milled/stamped, chrome lined barrel, et cetera.

Also, be careful when looking at them. There were some "ban" guns (those manufactured during the AWB ban) that looked like an AK, but used proprietery magazine. KBI in particular had a model like this.

Your best bet though if you are looking for one is to hit a gunshow and look around, see how each one feels, how it points/handles, and what accessories it comes with, to get an idea of which particular clone you are interested in. Then, once you have that down, do some research online about that particular one. Not all AKs are made alike. Generally though, it seems that the "pre-ban" Norinco's are the best from what I have encountered. Therefore, they are a a premium. The bull-pup Norincos are also desirable, but I do not know if it is because they are a bull-pup design, or if it is because they really are that much better.