GUN Airsoft & Schools

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mrburner, Dec 26, 2008.

1. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

As with most of the dog owners in my area, we meet at a park behind an elementary school down the street from my house - my parents are in town visiting and staying in my guest bedroom - my dad took my dog to the park while i pulled out my concealed glock 27 since we had been out all day (and as much as I believe I should have the right to, no guns on school premises)

So when I get to the park, there are 3 punk kids playing with 4 airsoft guns - only one had the orange cap on the end - they were using a metal bench as a backdrop as after 6, per the signs, this is a public park

The garbage can to throw dog shit away was on the other side of the curved bench they were shooting at. Some of the older dog owners were scared and had no idea if the guns were real etc. - my dad, being a bleeding heart liberal from chicago was too scared to go over there because he thought he'd get shot with one of their bb's...so i took the bag of shit over to the garbage can while talking loudly back to my parents that i'm not going to put up some punk kids committing a felony on school grounds (i guess they wanted to look cool by painting the orange caps that distinguish airsoft guns black or they just removed them all together) - they said they'd leave but just moved to a busier section of the park where the playground was and where kids were playing

i went up and calmly informed them that if they get caught doing what they are doing, they will likely never be able to legally purchase a real firearm - the older kid started giving me lip (he was probably 16-18 or so) so i tried to explain that by doing what they were doing, they were making all gun owners look irresponsible and although arizona technically allows airsoft guns on school grounds after school hours, there is a clear sign (black and white and therefore legally binding, not a orange/yellow and black warning sign) displaying no weapons allowed on premises - the kid kept giving me lip so i said fuck it and got on the phone (i didn't call anyone, just put it up to my ear) - this prompted them to pack their shit up and leave immediately while the older one was using his cell phone - i told him to feel free and call the police to verify and figured that was what he was doing - of course he was calling mommy so she could save him from the evil law abiding citizens - so while walking the couple of blocks back to my house with my parents and my dog, some bitch pulls up in her SUV and starts yelling at me for harassing her kids - i told her that her kids were committing a felony and to feel free to call the cops and verify - she didn't really have anything to say other than more bitching about harassing her kids so i told her that she should learn the law before trying to tell others about it but of course she sped off because she wasn't there to listen, just to bitch, which she didn't do successfully - my dad wanted to get a couple of words in about poor parenting and using common sense but as i said, she didn't want to listen, just to complain

so with that all said, i called the police information line after i got home and they indeed said exactly what i told the kids - airsoft guns are legal on school grounds in arizona so long as there is no sign up disallowing them and so long as they are marked with the orange endcap - if the orange piece is not on the end of the gun, it would be treated as a felony especially if their actions made others feel threatened in the park...the cop said that it's not really something they would respond to and it would be more of an issue for the school to deal with (despite his admitting it was a felony earlier in the conversation) - so i said "so it's not legal, but acceptable for unsupervised minors to shoot at curved metal in a public park with unmarked airsoft guns with 40-50 people and their dogs there but after going through a full criminal background check and being fingerprinted by the FBI, I am not allowed to carry my gun concealed for my own protection" - of course the guy said that i was correct - i just responded "sure makes a lot of sense - thanks for your assistance"

so my question to all of you - what would you have done? called the cops? approached the kids like i did hoping that they would have some idea of the law and/or responsibility (clearly they were lacking in common sense - but apparently that was a genetic issue)

don't get me wrong, i am in favor of gun rights for all, but i think incidents like this ruin it for law abiding gun owners and make all of the unknowledgeable gun-haters have more reason to think that gun owners are just irresponsible...i talked to about 8 of the other dog owners who were all in the other corner of the park because they were worried for their dogs safety, even after i explained that the kids were shooting bb's

so since the phoenix PD won't do anything about it, would you followup with the school or just drop it? it isn't the first time the kids have been there as i've walked down there by myself just to check out the area before bringing my dog there - there is a park across the main street, probably 1/4-1/2 mile away where they could go and shoot freely - very few people ever go to the park and they have obstacle courses with wooden backdrops

would you say i'm making a big deal out of nothing and should just drop it? what would you do if you take your dog to this park (it's all gated, all dogs run off leash and the school has given us approval to use the park so long as we pickup after the dogs) and run into these kids again? just seeing the reaction on peoples faces to 3 kids in the age ranges of probably 8-16 (possibly 18, can never really tell - just based on the way he responded as well as calling mommy to the rescue afterwards leads me to believe he was under 18)) carrying around 2 handguns (1 had the orange piece at the end) and 2 AR style rifles (neither with an orange endcap) clearly showed that this was not a positive image for gun owners anywhere

so what would you have done? not approached them at all? called the cops on the spot? complain to the school? etc.? clearly the parents aren't going to teach their kids to stop - luckily knowledge of the law trumps an overly emotional bitch trying to protect her precious children - she pulled into the next street over so i'm sure this family doesn't live too far from me - i'm not one who goes around looking for confrontations but what would the gun crew suggest?

2. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I think you handled the situation as appropriately as you could. I wouldn't really take issue up with the school, unless it appears that they pose a legitimate threat of injuring people, property or pets.

If they show up again, I'd just suggest that they should paint the tips orange, as that is what is required by law. Explain that if someone gets frightened that they may in fact be real guns, they could call the cops and throw them in jail. That should scare/reality-check them into thinking twice about it.

You don't want to totally scare them off, as they could potentially be future gun owners, but remind them of the potential for trouble if they don't abide by the laws.

3. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

i thought not all states require a red tip

4. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

legally they are required to have the bright orange tip - of course this can be removed or painted over which is what these kids did, but that is illegal

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...icles/2008/07/23/20080723airsoft0723side.html

5. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

6. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

http://www.phoenix.gov/POLICE/lawlea3.html

7. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I probably would have just called the cops and pretended not to know they were airsoft guns and just tell the cops there are kids running around the school with guns and assault rifles.

You can be damned sure the cops would respond, the kids would shit their pants, they would take it up with the parents for them painting the guns and breaking the law, and you'd probably have the whole issue taken care of.

You warned them, I'd do something serious about it next time. If the cops wont respond to airsoft, make them respond another way. The point of the orange is to know, if they have it painted, how would you have known? ;)

8. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

werd.

you warned them.. once they gave you lip, you should have said fuck em and called the cops

9. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

That's weird seeing as I just saw a crap load of Airsoft and metal bb guns in Walmart with NO red/orange tips. I actually pointed it out and said dang that looks real.

10. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i just went to walmart and big 5 yesterday and checked - everything (other than the real guns) had an bright orange/red tip :dunno:

11. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

If you would have called the cops saying kids had guns on the schools but didnt say Airsoft they would have been there asap I bet

12. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I would have called the cops, watch them get fucked over, and taken pics of it to post in WMD.

13. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Yeah I thought that it was very weird and mentioned it to several gun buddies with me. Each one agreed that they looked very real.

14. SNDP

SNDP New Member

I would have called the cops as soon as any of them gave me any shit and watched the comedy ensue.

15. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Airsoft must have orange tips as its a "toy" and not used for sporting purposes.

Pellet rifles and pellet pistols that are capable of shooting metal BBs or .177 pellets are not considered "toys" and therefore do not have orange tips.

Thats my way of seeing it :dunno:

As to airsoft guns, its only required to have an orange tip when selling, or transporting an airsoft gun.

16. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

see above links regarding federal and arizona laws

17. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

I would have probably done nothing, or called the cops if it was getting disruptive. Let them tell the kids to take a hike.

18. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Neither links correct my statements.

19. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

IMO calling the cops on anybody, unless they are a real legitimate threat, is a really really low thing to do. People always get this idea that cops will "give kids a scare" or something, when most of the time, if a cop is called to a scene, if they can charge somebody with a crime, they will. While the kids may have been kind of shitty, calling the cops on them just because you don't like them is a serious douchebag move. We're all gun owners here, I'm sure everyone here has done something in the past year or two that would get them fucked if police were present.

I'm really gettign a "holier than thou" attitude from you. Yes, the kids were douchebags. But just because they're shooting plastic pellets ,which barely even hurt, doesn't mean you need to act like a tough guy saying "i'm not going to put up some punk kids committing a felony on school grounds" before you even first talked to them.
    That makes you sound like some overweight 50 year old mall security guy.

Seriously, kids shooting plastic BBs at a bench. If that's honestly that big of a deal to you that you still want to persue action, then god damn your life must be empty.

20. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

This is an incredibly bad and stupid idea.

21. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

Why is this?

22. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

If something went wrong when the cops showed up and one of the kids were shot would you want that on your conscience?

23. BKhAH

BKhAH OT Supporter

airsoft, serious buisness.