Airport or router...helppp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LDUB, Jan 28, 2008.

1. LDUB

LDUB Guest

We have a 2wire wireless router on our main computer. I connect to it through airport on my macbook. About every ten minutes it will just kick me off the connection. The router will still show all green lights, and when I try to reconnect, it says airport cannot connect to 2wire, please try again, and it does this several times before reconnecting. This crap sucks, I cant download torrents or software updates.

2. LDUB

LDUB Guest

come onnnnn

3. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

just get a linksys WRT54GL, either use the default firmware or upgrade it to DD-WRT. My experience with 2Wire has been less than stellar

4. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

The other thing to watch too is what type of encryption you are using on the wireless, my macbook doesn't like certain configurations of WPA2, so I just use WPA TKIP+AES. When trying to use WPA2 it would boot me off at random, wouldn't reconnect, etc.

5. LDUB

LDUB Guest

you just threw a ton of stuff out there, you lost me. I dont know anything about configurations.

6. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Get a Time Capsule

7. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

you're experiencing the dreaded wireless bugs that have been lurking around in OS X since around 10.4.10. Even 10.5.1 is still affected, word is that 10.5.2 is supposed to finally fix this shit.

It seems to affect some types of routers more than others (for example, Westell DSL modem/routers seem to behave well, but my Buffalo, Edimax, and ZyXEL hardware gets kicked off randomly). Turning off encryption is a (shitty) workaround, but you're kinda SOL until apple gets off their asses and fixes the problem.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

believe me, it's the Mac, not the router. I run DD-WRT too and I gave up on using wireless, ended up running an ethernet cable to my MBP. :hs: Both my C2D MBP and my gf's C1D MacBook have the same problem; she's on Leopard, I'm still on Tiger. I set up a spare Westell router as a wireless repeater just so she could use the internet at our place; it was impossible for her to stay online before I did that.

9. LDUB

LDUB Guest

wtf. So if I call apple can I get my shit replaced? I didnt pay 1400 for my computer to not work

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

if what they said above is true, it is coming in 10.5.2. i've had similar issues when connecting to a neighbor's 2WIRE as well so there is definitely something about their encryption that licks balls yet I have my wireless connection secured the same (WEP) and I never have a problem.

I'd look at getting a time capsule though...effin sexy!

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I was gonna get an Airport Extreme so I could share a printer with several computers in the house. Having a HD for automatic wireless backups is just icing on the cake for me.

12. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

wtf

I've had zero problems with a shit ton of routers on my mbp. :confused:

13. Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil OT Supporter

I agree with ICy, my wireless connection on my 12"PB and 15" MBP has been gettting worse with each "wireless fix they update or some update" since Jag

14. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

it's a known software issue, there are multiple bug reports filed on it. sending your computer back to apple won't solve anything. 10.5.2 is in late beta, it should be released any time now. otherwise turn off encryption in the meantime or use a wire :dunno:

the bug seems to be real hit-or-miss, which is probably why it's taking so long to nail down... some people don't seem to have problems at all, but others do, go figure.

To the OP, I never heard of 2WIRE, sounds like it's probably a shit router. if you have a second router available to you to test with, try it; it's certainly possible that you just have a bum router, but you can't rule out software vs. hardware until you can test against different devices.