Airport Extreme vs. Any other b/g/n router..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Oct 6, 2009.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

Looking to get a new router with b/g/n. I was looking at the Airport Extreme and it looks good. I like how it has USB for a drive and a printer. But I'm wondering how detailed you can get with the settings. Does it have all the settings a Linksys router would have? More? Less?

Or is there another router you guys recommend that is similar to the Airport Extreme only better/cheaper?

Thanks.

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I've had other wireless routers in the past and now have an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express. Love them. More configurations options then most wireless routers. Allows you to setup sharing of a connected USB drive and set permission levels for different users. Also lets you setup a 'guest' network for when your friends come over. Basically they can surf the web but they can't see the rest of your network like you will be able to. Airdisk works great. Configuration tool is easier then many of the web interfaces of other routers. Highly recommend them.

4. verbal

verbal Active Member

How in depth do the options go though? Port Forwarding? VPN? Etc...

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Everything you can think of. Port forwarding, port mapping, VPN, set wireless signal transmission strength, WPA group key timeout, multicast rate, country (allows more wireless channels if your laptop has a foreign wireless card and can connect to them), MAC address control, DHCP reservations, DHCP lease times, Bonjour printing, Back To My Mac access, logging, and a ton more.

6. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

7. CyberBullets

Only time is when I use my microwave that interferes with all wifi (cell phones, 2.4 and 5.8ghz wireless phones and wifi).

Other than that, it's solid.

8. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

It's also Dual-Band, meaning if your iPhone connects to it at G, your N Mac won't drop to the G speeds. Alot of your N routers will do that, because the N radio has to drop to the G speed for your G devices. Just a little tidbit.

And I <3 my APE.

9. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

:werd: Great feature. I have my Extreme locked in at N only and do the other devices like my iPhone on my Express. Express is awesome if you travel. Great to bring along anywhere like hotel rooms, etc. Audio jack for Airtunes is great too. I use it daily to stream music to my stereo while I'm working.

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

The price isn't very pleasing to people, but finding another router like this will run you that much anyways. I haven't found many consumer routers with a built in print server/storage access like this and would love to get one in the near future.

11. crucialkc

crucialkc the earth is flat

i have my mbp that i generally use in the living room. gf has an imac in the office. i can play music in the living room (where the speakers are connected to the airport express unit) from her computer or from mine. on top of that, you can control multiple speakers, so I can make the same music play from her computer and mine as well if I want to have music everywhere in the house.

best thing, though, is if you have the iphone with the remote app... then you can do all of this shit just from your phone. it's ridiculously awesome.

12. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

:werd: I stream music from my server machine to my Airport Express that's hooked to my stereo daily. I usually control the server via Remote Desktop on my MBP or from the Remote app on my iPhone. Works great.

13. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

14. andymodem

andymodem Ambitious, but rubbish.

I just picked up the Airport Extreme today. I have been using the DIR-655 for the last several months.

In short, Airport Extreme > DIR-655

15. hoppy1028

hoppy1028 New Member

i love my 500gb timecapsule and airport express

16. CyberBullets

Until your timecapsule dies... :wtc:

17. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

That's why you always need backup of your backup.

18. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

that's why I got an extreme and a 1tb drive separate :coold: