AirPort Express

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by colosodian, Feb 13, 2006.

1. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

Does anyone use one on a daily basis? Im thinking of getting one for mobile use when im out of the house and airtunes use at home.

Mainly im wondering about wireless reception, and quality of airtunes output.

2. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

i've used one for the past year pretty much. use it in my apt for wireless internet and airtunes. wifi signal is similar to that of a linksys wifi router. airtunes quality is as if you have the speakers plugged into the computer itself.

the only negative is if you have a 2.4ghz cordless phone. it seems to disrupt the signal. airtunes will automatically pause then this happens. even when i'm not on the phone, it will happen occasionally for a second or two, i assume it's b/c of someone else close by in the apt building using a cordless phone. it doesn't happen often enough to really irritate me to purchase something else.

in the settings, it says to enable 'interference robustness' to prevent that from happening. i have it enabled but it still happens. maybe it'd occur more frequently if i didn't have it enabled? who knows.

am overall satisfied w/ the product though.

3. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

Does it remember settings when unplugged for longer periods of time? It would be nice to be able to plug it in in different locations and not have to reconfigure it.

I do have a 2.4ghz phone, that is something to consider.

4. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

it can store like, 5 different 'profiles' if i remember correctly. ie. can use a different profile for different locations, home, work, etc.

5. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Well, in all fairness any wireless network will mess up 2.4 GHz phones unless it uses the A network.

So, any wireless router will be running on 2.4 GHz, and will then interfer with the wireless phones. Never fear, 5.8 GHz phones to the rescue. I got 2 matching ones at costco for about 40 bucks.

6. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

i'm saying the phones are the ones to disrupt the wireless signal

7. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

The router doesn't actually save the settings, the airport admin utility does. and like someone else said, you can make multiple profiles for different places if you want to.

8. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

The router must save some settings for WEP/WPA to work...