Airport Express vs Extreme base stations...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by skolen, Mar 11, 2007.

1. skolen

skolen Guest

What's the difference and do I need one to use the other?

I wanna dump this wireless router (Belkin) cause it sucks ass in both setup/tweaking and connectivity. I'm looking to get an Airport basestation off eBay since I've converted 2 people in the house to go Mac and this will make it that much easier.

I noticed the Express has the airtunes and wireless printing, nice but not a selling point. But it also says it's an access point? Why wouldn't I get this over the bigger Extreme base station?

All computers in the house are wireless now.

2. bheld

bheld I'm paying you with your own money...

The express isn't a standalone router. Think of it more as a repeater that works with an existing wireless network.

3. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

That's not entirely true. You can use it as a standalone, and you can also plug them in all over your house to use as repeaters to increase signal strength.

All we have in my house is our cable modem plugged into an Airport Express and we can use the laptop anywhere in the house.

I got the express because it's cheaper, and didn't really have a big difference in performance against the extreme when I bought it.

4. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I agree, when I had my Airport Express (very sad I don't any more), I used it as a wireless access point. I had a wired router, already, so i ran an ethernet cable from the wired router to the Express and it worked perfect. It can be used as a repeater, though I haven't personally done it.

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

airport express is also limited to 10 clients.

6. elevator

elevator The tenants think it's wonderful! ヽ(´ OT Supporter

The express signal doesn't spread as far as the airport extreme (especially the new ones) and it is not available in 802.11n.

but it can be used as a repeator/bridge or a primary base station. I have an extreme and an express. The express increases the signal, bridges my xbox360 to the wireless network, and hooks up to my speakers to itunes (airtunes ftw)

7. Mach D

Mach D New Member

I have an extreme and plan to get an express for airtunes and to bridge once I need it.

8. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

Yes, you can use it standalone, but it does not have any routing or firewall capability.