airport express help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by langer421, Jan 13, 2006.

1. langer421

langer421 New Member

Got my airport express today and I'm having some problems. Apple care doesn't seem to understand either. So here's what I'm trying to do. I have a internet connection to my house. connected to that is a PC and also a linksys wireless wrt54g rouert. upstairs is my mac (wirless) and my xbox 360 and stereo and I'm using the airport express up here. What I want to do is have the airport express connect to the linksys so I'll be able to have a network connection for my xbox and be able to have airtunes sent from my mac. Now here's where the problem comes in, every time I use the airport setup utility it ends up giving me airtunes no problem but the network it's forming is one with my mac and not with the linksys at all.

For anyone who may be able to help a little more info:

I'm using wep
    not using a vpn
    the xbox is finding an ip address but it's that of my mac

any help is greatly appreciated

2. Gothamist

Gothamist New Member

try it not encoded/ encrypted, and i'm sure that linksys puts it in wep 128/40 or something liek that

3. langer421

langer421 New Member

did that, still didn't work. on apples site it says the airport express is designed to extend the range of the airport extreme or airport express, but in other boards people confirm that on apples site it says somewhere a list of selected routers that the airport express will work with and the wrt54g is one of them. But in my case it isn't working

4. easy4lif

easy4lif New Member

so you want to set up a repeater. first try to hard reset the airport express. thats the one where you plug it in to the wall socket & hold down the reset button for 15 seconds. from there try using the airport setup utility to set it up. + make sure your router + airport express are up to date in there software. I know that the express & extreme were both updated just recently. here's a link to it

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/airportexpressfirmwareupdate63formacosx.html

5. samm

samm Next in Line

Unless something has changed since I bought my Airport Express, you cannot use it as a wireless bridge. The ethernet port is used to connect it to your cable or DSL modem or an existing router.

6. langer421

langer421 New Member

something must have changed because apple told me I would be able to do it easily if I had a airport extreme router. I never seen any ethernet port you couldn't use in reverse. I've used my powerbook's as a bridge a few times and it worked great

7. Rick

Rick New Member

I don't think the Airport Express can extend the network of the Linksys. I tried it way back when the Airport Express first came out and I was using a Linksys router.