Airport Express + Buffalo Router = help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jacen2141, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

So, have any of you had great success using the Express as the main base station and Brand X router as the bridge? After a lot of searching it would seem that I'm doing this ass backwards. Most people buy the Express to extend but since I figured it would be easier to let the Admin Assistant do everything for me, I did everything I thought I had to do to my make Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 work as a bridge. Needless to say, it's not working. :wtc:

Anyone done this? have pointers? :hsd:

P.S. The Buffalo is set to Bridge, instead of Auto. I have disabled all Encryption on both routers. Both routers are on the same channel. Everything else is automatic. The Express gets to the last step of connection and then fails. Both routers work flawlessly otherwise.

2. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

try it the other way :dunno:

3. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

that's not working either........I'm about to give up. :squint:

4. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

ive had endless problems with my express and dlink together... both work well on their own tho..

5. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

install DD-WRT? :o

6. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

I looked into the firmware you speak of but wound up finding help on Apple's Forums. Someone had gotten the two to work with WDS. I wasn't able to do it the way I originally intended but in the end it didn't matter because the Airport Express still allowed me to do encryption, as well as Airtunes and printer sharing. So all is good... :bigthumb:

Here's the link if anyone needs it....It can be a little confusing if one doesn't know about networking at all. I'm fairly savvy...just hadn't dealt with WDS and two distinct routers. :hs:

http://apx.indusdevelopment.com/

7. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:werd: WDS can be a bitch to set up, let alone across different brands of routers