AirPort/broadband question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jackhole, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I've been having problems with Internet slowdowns and reliability. After reading this month's Macworld article about troubleshooting your Internet connection, I tested my cable speed straight from the modem and got the fastest speed I've gotten in a long time, 19.5 Mbps down. After connecting back through my AirPort Express (802.11g), I was back down to ~9 Mbps. I'm sure part of the problem is the old cables in my house that have been split 3 times before getting to the modem, but there's not much I can do about that. :sad2:

Could upgrading to the newer 802.11n AirPort Express make a difference for me? I'm sure I could get faster tI'm trying to speed up my network as much as I can before I have to switch broadband carriers when I move, this local ISP is much slower than Comcast. :wtc:

2. kmad86

kmad86 Swine Epidemic Survival Crew '09 OT Supporter

I had the same problem. The house was ran RG6 to the house and then it was RG59 in the house and it was split about 4 times. I had them run RG6 to the modem (free of charge) and they also amped the line and I was running like a champ.

Do you get HD Channels? Do they ever tile?

If anything, call them up and see if they will amp your line (something they do at the pole :dunno:

BTW, cox is my provider.

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I love Comcast, which is apparently a minority opinion, but their installation contractors are idiots. My new house will be built in 3 months and will have all new cabling and connections, obviously.

My main question is, will the N truly make that much of a difference over G?

4. kmad86

kmad86 Swine Epidemic Survival Crew '09 OT Supporter

I ran a WRT50G Linksys for years, I switched over to my AirPort Extreme and it seemed faster to me. I never remember what I was running previously, but it seems faster. I've heard that it can't possibly be faster but I dunno...

5. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

N is better than G, hands down. But that's only if you are using the wireless part. There are good and bad things about G vs N, but they all come down to how far are you away from the router, and so forth. The nice thing about the New Airport Extreme, it is Dual Band, meaning you can run both N and G on the same router. So connecting your G devices to the router doesn't slow down your N devices. I'm DLing at almost a 1MB a sec over wireless from a 5MB connection. That's on N. Before that, I was lucky to see 300KB a sec on the G. So, yes, the New Airport Extreme Base Station is an excellent router. Just look up the reviews. I bought one when I bought my iMac, and I won't be going back.