MIL AirForce Brat.....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Taconinja05, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Taconinja05

Taconinja05 New Member

HEy... so i've decided to go into the Air Force after college as an officer... one of the big reasons for joining is the great benefits and that i've been in military surroundings for more then half my life... My dad was a Master Sergent in the AirForce before he retired.... I just loved waking up everymorning to B-52's flying over... anyone else a military brat?? and did u enjoy it? and has it effected ur opinion of joining the military or not???

thnx

2. perry

perry burp

Army brat :wavey: Was born at Walter Reed, then off to Ft. Benning, Fort Gordon, Camp Zama (Japan), then back to the DC area. Wasn't bad, but I didn't know differently. Ended up at different schools for 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th grades - that kinda sucked.

I was in AFROTC for 2 years before deciding that the military wasn't for me for one reason or another.

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I was a Navy brat, born at Jacksonville Naval Hospital.

The plus side: I saw more of the world by the age of 10 than most kids my age will see in their lifetime. I explored the ruins of Pompeii when I was 7. When I was 8, I walked partway down the inside of Mt. Vesuvius (volcano in Italy). I played in the snow in the Alps, thought my name was Esteban when I could barely talk (while Dad was stationed in Puerto Rico), played in the snow in Newfoundland, got to meet lots of people in lots of different cultures and see lots of wonderful and awesome sights, all before I was 10 years old.

The down side: I moved every 2-3 years. Just as I would get a real good group of friends, I would leave them. I was always jealous of the kids in America who were able to grow up on the same block, with the same friends, at the same school, etc.

And there were the dangerous times. I got lost in the middle of Naples when I was 6 years old (an Italian found me crying in an alley and called the Shore Patrol). From age 6-8, once every semester, our school would show us how to check under and around our cars for anything that might be a car bomb (communists in Italy enjoyed the hell out of killing Americans back in the 60's). Most of the time when I would move to a different country, the curriculum at the new school wouldn't match what I had gone through. I spend several summers and many nights during school hitting the books with Mom just so I wouldn't have to repeat grades due to missed courses. A few months after I graduated from High School I went into the military. After I left the military, I really didn't know how to "be" a civilian. It was the biggest culture shock of my life.

All-in-all, I like my Navy Brat upbringing. But it definitely had it's down side.

4. Taconinja05

Taconinja05 New Member

Jacksonville Naval Hospital is like 15 mins from where i live right now.....

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

My afterbirth might still be there! :eek3:

okay... that was just weird. :mamoru: