MIL Airborne school- Where's the challenge?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Biomechanoid, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I'm finishing up airborne school (graduate this friday, still need to jump tomorrow and friday to make up for bad weather days) and I'm wondering where the challenge is that's supposed to make this an elite school.

All throughout OSUT our drill sergeants hyped up airborne as this incredibly tough school to pass, and yet it's almost a joke as to the physical demands that were put on us, not to mention that everything we needed to know knowledge wise we learned in the first 2 days, after that is was just drills.

the "hardest" PT session we had was a 6 mile run, which isn't at all difficult due to the lack of hills on mainpost Ft. Benning.

Anyone else come away from jump school with the same feeling that the physical demands were less than the hype made them to be?

2. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

You are right. It's not hard. That's just part of the game in OSUT, trying to psych you out a bit. As far as jumping goes, the difficulty comes into play when you start jumping combat loads, have to try and land as close together as possible so you can regroup etc.

3. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I was there in 1999 and most of the drops in my class came from PT. It isn't the length of it or anything, it was maintaining the pace in formation.

What company are you in? I was Delta Rock.

4. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

Bravo Company. We've had a few fallouts during the PT sessions, but they've all been officers, and so they didn't have any kind of reprimand :rolleyes:

Aside from the initial PT test, we've not had that many people kicked out. I think a total of 8 for things like coming back to the barracks drunk and disorderly.

5. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Not breaking your ankle is the most difficult portion of the course.

6. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

i wish i could jump :(
    i'm going the civilian route and it costs a pretty penny

7. fixmefixmyhead

fixmefixmyhead Well-Known Member

if i add jump school into my national guard contract before i enlist, and i pick an MOS other than infantry or combat arms. will i have to go to a specific airborne unit or will i just be airborne qualified in whatever unit im at?

8. airborne school isn't really that hard. it's hard in the summer when it is really hot but even then they take good care of you and make sure you drink a lot of water and cera sport (ugh).

all you gotta do is keep your feet and knees together.

i too was delta.

9. Texasboy

Texasboy OT Supporter

Yeah hopefully I'm going to be going thru that soon . Been talking with the recruiter this week and I just need to loose a little bit of weight before I go to MEPS . Took the practice asvab and scored a 70 something so obviously I shouldnt have too much trouble getting Airborne Infantry

10. shiba

shiba Active Member

you can go to jump school no matter what unit you're in. Therefore you'll just be airborne qualified.

11. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

Not sure how it works with national guard, but in the Regular/Active army you would go to an airborne unit or attached to an airborne support unit.

12. ustfdes

ustfdes LPC ID: 20394

my wife is airborne. her entire unit runs around, saying "airborne!" instead of "hooah!"

"why do we do it better than everyone else? oh yeah, because we're airborne."

fucking faggots :rofl:. go to Fort Knox. spend 6 months with the same drill sergeants that don't change their mindsets when you switch to AIT phasing. imagine red or white phase for 6 months. (OSUT ftl)

not saying it was tougher than anyone elses training, but it was a bitch, i got off post 4 days in those 6 months.....i watched privates still in basic training phases going to the main px while we dug postholes....and not because we did anything to deserve it everytime...sometimes our DS's were trying to outdo other companies.

for the record, i loved it. it was hardcore, and it makes me a bad mofo.

13. ustfdes

ustfdes LPC ID: 20394

typically with the national guard...if you refer 5 people before you go to basic, you get the option to go to jump school....but you get no ASI's or additional qualifiers...its just a HOOAH type thing.

(dunno if this is what you're talking about or not)

14. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

What percentage of the Army is jump qualified? Seems like everyone I know in the Army has been to jump school, even females.

15. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

is your recruiter at the valley mills station in waco?