MIL Air Force Reserves or National Guard?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ZeeMox, Mar 18, 2006.

1. ZeeMox

ZeeMox Opinions are like assholes. Fuck em. OT Supporter

What are the differences? You're less likely to get deployed out of the US if you're in the Reserves, right?

Referring to the Air National Guard, or whatever the AF's "sect" of the NG is called...

2. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

join the ANG

3. dec_a21

dec_a21 New Member

air national guard

4. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

so you're joining the "military" not wanting to go to war, ever.

5. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

Are yo wanting to deploy or not? If not then stay away from any section of the military becasue you will be dissappointed. As far as what to expect at your unit it really will depend on the mission of the unit. You should search for your most likely unit and find out their mission. Some units have much less critical job during war, others have more.

6. ZeeMox

As usual (though I doubt anybody would notice, it's hardly worth checking) I'm not really posting in this forum on my behalf.

Here's the deal - my gf is in the air force, pregnant. She is either going to leave the AF completely (due to pregnancy), or stay in the Air National Guard. Basically, I am working full time and working on side projects to provide, so I would need to use day care if she were to get deployed. Plus, there's just the additional safety concerns of a mother being deployed...

The biggest upside of staying in the military is the insurance, which isn't very good where I work. I offered to take a second job, but she still wants time with me, which makes sense. I won't have any time to take care of her or the kid with a second job. From what I've been led to believe, ANG are the last to get deployed after the Air Force Reserves.

The reason I asked for input on just the differences without explaining this, was just because I already know a good deal on what the AF Reserves entail. This forum has helped me out pretty well in the past with expectations and such, so I come here with the broad questions.

7. smokie700

Well reserves and the guard do NOT provide medical for the member or family unless the member is on active duty orders. Another thing you should realize is that 120.00 check for drill wont cover much. Now for a bit of positive info. Depending on your rank and location. In the guard you can get either Tech jobs in your job field or work experience, (you wear uniform to work but are not considered Active duty). They have all the benefits of a federal job. Next would be going Active Guard Reserve. You would be considered Active Duty Guard and work for your states guard unit. With this option you get the full medical and dental for you and your family, you get housing allowance or choice to live on base (if one is nearby).

The biggest difference is that reserves can get called up much sooner because you work for the Federal Government. National Guard works for the state, (which also means free college in certain states).

To be perfectly honest right now, in this day; you really can't say wether a unit is going to deploy or not. It would be wise to really understand that anyone in the military has a high chance to deploy.

8. dec_a21

dec_a21 New Member

gotta disagree, if u are in the military (in a deployable status) u will deploy, especially in this day. it doesnt matter AD, RES or NG you will deploy somewhere

9. smokie700

I'm deployable and the latest word is that we will not deploy until 08 or 09 given the current state of affairs. Which is why I put high CHANCE of deployment. Believe it or not, not everybody in the military has deployed or will within next 4 years. So there is a chance but you have to be ready to deploy in any situation.

10. ZeeMox

Thanks Smokie, excellent reply. What she's been saying is that she can still get the insurance in Guard or Reserves, but she has to pay. She seems to believe it's pretty cheap - a lot cheaper than any other job will get it for.

My job is an absolute rip-off - I get pretty bad insurance for almost $40/week just to cover myself. It costs over $100 - a week - to cover more than myself. We're not married, but if she can get herself and the kid covered, I don't feel I really need medical insurance right this moment.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  11. ZeeMox

Thanks and thanks!

We weren't trying to have a baby, it just happened. That said, it is a good thing, I don't consider it negative at all. However, I don't think it warrants rushing prematurely into marriage. I've already discussed with her the idea of getting married on paper just for benefits such as the aforementioned, but she seemed hurt by the idea. I can see where she's coming from, but it complicates things.

She will be living with me, so she will be in state. It's a long story why I don't think marriage is a good idea yet (a fully derailing one probably too off-topic for this forum), but it looks like from what you're saying it would just mean hella paper work.

Awesome reply though. So I assume that she is correct and that this is available for NG and Reserves for a price?

12. smokie700

well the only insurance that is available to me in the guard is the SGLI which is life insurance. I am not aware of any type of medical (paid or unpaid) for reserve or guard

13. Zee

Zee New Member

:wtf: do you mean "military" :squint:

The guard and reserves have a joke......the recuiting thing used to be "One weekend a month, two weeks a year"....now its "ome weekend a month two weeks a year....at home"

I used to be in the Guard, now AF Reserve.....in all seriousness I think the guard gets treated better by The Major commands because they have to deal with another entity...the Guard Bureau if they fuck around with the guard to much.....

Join the Guard.....you are the front line for Natural Diasters in your state...which is a good feeling

14. ZeeMox

While things could certainly go awry, I know her well enough to know she won't screw me over herself. As far as life insurance money... if her (rich) family wants it, they can have it. I don't think you can compensate death, and if they go so far as to pull shit like that, they obviously feel they need it more than me. I would assist her mother in recieving it anyway I could, however - she's not wealthy at all and probably really would need it more than I.

The only thing you mentioned that actually scares me is family fighting for custody of the child. Her father is a horrible father, and I sure as hell don't want to see any kid of mine tainted by his conditional love theories. Any kids potentially under his care are probably better off never having been concieved. It's a good thing he and his wife are now fixed 8 children later. If her mother could possibly fight for custody, that would be much better, and she would probably allow me partial custody as well (possibly unofficial). I'm not sure if that's likely to happen, however, given her mentally unstable medical history.

Basically, I just have to hope she doesn't die. Call it irony, but I trust her not to screw me over, I just don't trust her enough to marry her. Like I said, it's a long story, but knowing someone well also means knowing where you shouldn't rely on them.

Meh, no good can come of it if I explain everything in this thread. I'll just sum it up by saying this relationship's past year alone has spawned three asylum threads. It's been going a lot better lately, but I'm not going to get too comfortable yet. It's come to the point where every decision is a bad one in many respects and a good one in many others. Some awesome replies though.

I'll have to investigate what smokie is saying about the possible lack of health insurance altogether (unless deployed, as also mentioned).