MIL Air Force recruit

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Shockticus, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Shockticus

Shockticus I remember having one more drink at the bar... OT Supporter

I'm in the recruitment process of the Air Force right now. The recruiter wants me to lose 15 more pounds and once I do then I'll retake the ASVAB (took it almost 5 years ago as a junior in HS, scored a 93). I'm 21 (in a couple weeks) now and have been wanting to join for a long time now. Any tips or suggestions as to what MOS I should look into? I'm studying for the ASVAB this time, so I should score above the 93 I got the first time, so I should be able to have virtually a free choice as to what job.

2. RedBull

RedBull New Member

Take the practice ASVAB on military.com a few times to see what areas you are weak in and buy an ASVAB study guide at Barnes & Noble and read up on those areas.

As for your job, it just depends on what your interested in as a civilian. I liked working on mechanical shit, so now I'm a maintainer on F100 engines (got a 97 on the ASVAB) but there are many jobs out there. If you can learn a language really fast, volunteer to take the D-LAB and get over 100 points on it (out of 120pts) and you can opt to be a linguist, which are pretty cushy jobs with a nice sign on bonus with a lot of TDY. If you are interested in that route, let me know and I can give you some pointers on the test.

Just don't sign shit until everything you want/is promised you is on that paper...or series of papers

3. Zee

Zee New Member

My oldest daughter is in Air Force Basic right now....a couple of things

1.) get in shape, they run 2mi a day plus 50 or so Pushups and crunches

2.) Be prepared to get yelled at as soon as you reach the reception area at the airport

3.) she told us that she was up damned near 3 days with about 3 hrs of sleep each day the first three days, no being to do the basic hygene items (Shower, Shave or brush her teeth) all in an effort to break the will of the recruits

4.) Take the very basics (no personal stuff) because it will all get locked up and you wont see it for 7 weeks.

5.) You get paid shit for the first two weeks.....they take out $450 your first paycheck for your expenses on base, I believe they give you an Eagle Cash Card :dunno:

6.) Get everyone to work toghether, dont fight amongst each other help eachother out....

will post more the more we get to talk to her (she gets one call a week on sundays)

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

I still can't believe you are 21. The years fly by.

5. daytonyourmom

daytonyourmom New Member

do what you would want to do on the civilan side. you never know if you're gonna like the air force. just make sure you don't waste your four years. for example....i'm a fire fighter. its exactly what i want to do on the outside. the air force has paid for all my training. some jobs won't be able to use their certs when they get out because they are DoD certs, but alot will.
    the air force isn't like the army or marine corps. they are riflemen/soldiers first no matter what their job is. we're all airman, but we are only called on to do our specific job. once in a while you'll get t coated, but thats an entirely different story.
    anyway, good luck. feel free to ask questions. make sure you're informed before you sign.

6. flipflop

flipflop flippity flop flippity flop

dont go open general or you will screwed and get ammo....smite the world and its shenanigans

7. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

loadmaster > *

id jump on that if i could pass the fuckin flight physical

8. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

First thing's first forget the word MOS in reference to your career. It's called AFSC or just plain JOB in the Air Force. MOS is a squadron within the maintenance group that QA, MOC, PS&D, AFREP, etc fall under. If you call it a "rate" I'll take you to the nearest dock and throw you in the water, this isn't the NAVY either. Choose something you'll genuinely enjoy. If you think you'll enjoy working in an office, go for it. Most likely, though, you'll enjoy something like loadmaster, intel, flight engineer, or linguist. Traveling is what makes the Air Force fun. I know FAR too many old NCOs that are just ate up about being at home station for YEARS on end.

9. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

Beat me to it...