MIL Air Force question... developmental engineers

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pakman, Jul 18, 2007.

1. pakman

pakman New Member

I'm majoring in Electrical and Computer Engineering, basically I was wondering what bases would be options to be stationed at as a developmental engineering in the Air Force?

edit: Another thing... this is more general... does the O-1E rank need strictly 4 years active or would 8-9 years as Guard count? I would have accumulated roughly 3 years active by that point (deployment).

2. enfiniti

enfiniti How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

sweet, when you graduating? do I know you?

3. pakman

pakman New Member

Graduating in '10 :o

I don't think we know each other...?

4. enfiniti

maybe not, Im graduating ece in the spring, you arent in CSE 221 right now are you, or ma366?

I was thinking about doing airforce too because most of the head execs at phantom works and skunk works are retired colnels from the airforce. I'm into aerospace engineering too so I guess it may depend what you are into.

5. pakman

pakman New Member

Nope... won't start my ECE class load till winter quarter. I recently switched to ECE from ME so I'm waay behind now :hs:

I'm not sure what field of developmental engineering I want to get into, don't even know what fields they offer?

6. enfiniti

ahahaha Did zelmer own you in Chem125 and Kan in ME420?

that's what made me go from ME to ECE

I never really looked into this but once, I did talk to a recruiter for about 10 minutes at the career fair and I guess if you have a GPA >3.4 (i dont know your situation but I do) you go straight to their graduate program in any field of your choice, you provide thesis and get a professor to sign off on it. After you finish that, you get assigned somewhere with similar research / development going on. That seems kind of loose for the military and I'm sure one of these guys can get you a better hold on whats going on. If you re really interested in the airforce as a career, and have means to pay your own education. I highly suggest civilian employment. see www.usajobs.com search for airforce for computer engineering (that is my field) and plenty of civilian jobs come up. That way you dont sign your life away. But like I said the heads of skunkworks and phantom works are retired airforce, just depends what you are looking for.

7. pakman

pakman New Member

Haha, that damn Zellmer. I passed his class with a C. I don't think I ever studied so much just to get a C -_-. Haven't taken 420 yet... taking 410 right now and Physics 132. Like I said, I just switched a few weeks ago and by that time it was too late to switch classes :hs:. If I had switched to ECE earlier I'd probably be in the major next quarter. My SPHR isn't "competative" enough for ME supposedly... too much fucking around freshman year.

I most definitely don't have a 3.4 GPA, doubt I ever will. I want to comission :o

8. enfiniti

take it easy big guy, My SPHR was 2.7

once you get into engineering all that matter is your Major GPA. That is what you put on your resume and only counts classes within the ECE and CSE department. Bust your ass. I dont know if you have seen any of my threads but I am in class or in CL260/DL817 weekdays 830a-730p and noon-6 weekends. Do your homework, bust your ass and do well in major classes and that is the only GPA that matters. It is a second chance if you fucked up, I did too. But now I have a 3.62 Major GPA and can work anywhere I want if I keep it up.

Plus, if you fail any ece class, you dont understand the ECE code of honor.

9. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

you'd probably get wright patterson or edwards.

10. pakman

pakman New Member

Oh so my grades from like chem and math won't matter? That would be a relief :o. I am on campus anywhere between 12-15 hours a day so I do bust my ass, just not very smart. I squeak by in most of my classes -_-. What do you mean ECE code of honor?

11. pakman

pakman New Member

Wright Patt is what I was afraid of, I despise Dayton, OH.

12. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

O1E needs 4 yrs active duty time, so if in 8-9 yrs you were active for 4 total yrs you get it...if you dont, then your a regular old O1

13. spades

spades George P. Burdell II

The bases that you'll most likely go to are:

Acquisition bases:
    Wright-Patt, Hanscom, Los Angeles,

Logistics/Depot:
    Robins, Hill, Tinker

Test:
    Edwards, Kirtland

You can also get into intel work as an engineer.