MIL Air Force OT'ers

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nolymytz, Oct 13, 2005.

1. nolymytz

nolymytz New Member

I'm 24 and looking for a new career. I'm working in the computer field currently, but I'm kind of losing interest in that. I was looking at going to flight school at like Embry Riddle or a local AOPA Training center, but i'm thinking that it would be nearly impossible or at least take me a long time to complete my training. I was therefore thinking about looking into the air force, but wanted to get someones opinion of this seeing as I'm 24 and married. I'm just wondering if it's feasable for me...Does the air force pay well, and would there be any costs as far as the training goes or does the air force cover all of that? Just to give you some sort of idea of what my lifestyle is like right now, i make about 48k a year. Am i going to be hurting for a while if i made this career change? Do they have signing bonuses?

2. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

Firstly, do you have a degree? If so, good. Your current salary and going in won't hurt as bad as going in as an e-1/2/3. And, what is your degree in?

If not. Does it pay well? It pays enough, but I cannot say well. Look at the current military pay rates (google it) you'll either be at e-1/2/3 or an 0-1, and thats monthly. Since you are married, you'll be given enough money to live in a mid-scale apartment in that area you are base outta of. So take most living costs/and some food costs outta the equation.

I joined when I was 22, the thing is, at that age, you'll be alright coming in, and have alot of maturity on top of people. You'll also have that on top of people that our rank you, and you'll also be ranked with the kids (that are 18/19) and you being a married working chap, you'll want to kill em.

If you are not going in as an officer, I would actually say don't bother.

An option to look at though....that would work GREAT

Is joining the Air Guard. Look into it.

3. nolymytz

nolymytz New Member

I'm about a year out from getting my bachelors degree in computer information systems. Thanks for the information! That helps tremendously. I'm kind of scared of the whole enlisting thing, but I may end up doing it! I'll check out the Air Guard as well. Thanks again.

4. nolymytz

nolymytz New Member

Any opinions of the Air National Guard? I'm waiting for a recruiter to call me.

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

If you're going to a state college, they will usually pick up the tab on some/most/all (depending on your state) of your tuition.

6. evan2

evan2 Guest

well going in you would be e3 because of the credits you hold,you could do bootstrap since you are within a year of your degree.. then go to ots adn get commisioned..

you would now be an officer and imo making good money with a chance to make more

if you want to be a pilot good luck, you could but most of the time they want people with engineering degrees.. a comm weenie might do bettter off in comm

7. nolymytz

nolymytz New Member

I'm new to all this. What is bootstrap?

8. evan2

evan2 Guest

its a program in the af, you have to put in for it... not everyone gets it but being so near to teh degree you could def get it
    basically teh AF puts you into civillian status and pays for your last year of school, I dont recall if you get paid but I think you still would get paid depending on your rank
    my friends husband did it so I can tell you if you need
    but itso nly for one year and you then in turn owe the govt back the time you were away
    so no biggie you could come in as an officer and get paid

9. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

I wouldn't say that he is a 100% guarantee. The Air Force is currently looking at an Officer overage in the lower 3 Officer ranks. Last time I heard it was 4K. They are currently offering early out incentives to reduce the ranks to within regulations. If these incentives do not work the Air Force is looking at force shaping the Officer Corps. This also limits the number of new Lt's the AF is looking to bring in. ROTC programs have been offering Cadets the option to graduate, and not enter into the military. I would be careful with saying that he is a lock.

10. evan2

evan2 Guest

dude you quote me but then say the same shit like i did it
    please read next time

i said in plain english not every gets it but being near it you could def get it.. yea def is prob a bad choice but i already said not everyone gets it.. dur

11. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

definitely

adv : without question and beyond doubt

And I thought AF people were suppose to be the most intelligent. Seems to me that your statement says that since he is so close to receiving his degree he is guaranteed a slot. So, where did I say the exact same thing you said? Not only did I tell him why he could not be 100% sure he would be selected, I gave him the reason for my opinion.