MIL Air Force officer vs enlisting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by burn__, Feb 17, 2009.

1. burn__

burn__ New Member

Just heard today that i got a slot for Field Training this summer (AFROTC). Thing is, i dont really know if i want it anymore. Looking at the jobs to choose from in the AF as an officer doesnt excite me at all. Only thing that comes close to being interesting to me is SF Officer, and i dont really want to be a cop. :hs: (everyone still looks at me funny when i tell them i dont want a pilot or nav slot..)

Ive been toying with the idea of just enlisting in the army with an education bonus (still need to get with a recruiter out here) since i already have my degree, getting in as an e-4, and be able to choose a job i wanted. not depend on a crapshoot like with ROTC. But the paychart always comes creeping back into my head because id be stupid to give up that much more money over the long haul...wanting to put in my 20.

am i crazy for wanting to enlist instead of going in as an officer? its been pounded in my head that once you have a degree you need to be an officer. im still not sure what "constitutes a good leader" and if i even fit that description.

2. Ninja

Ninja OT Supporter

Why not an officer in a different branch?

IMO- you'd regret going enlisted when you have the option to go officer route.. I have read way to many posts of people who went enlistee and regretted it

3. burn__

burn__ New Member

i could go talk to a recruiter for army ocs. but even so, i tend to swing more towards following than leading...and thats not a quality any branch wants in an officer. i just hate the idea of "wasting" my degree

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

I love how nobody wants to be in charge of anything, seriously do you think in the corporate world you will simply be an underling all your life, in any situation you will have to be a leader, the enlisted side dosent have Non-Commisioned Officers for a reason, they to a hell of a lot of leading in the AF, so if you just want to follow then you better get out before you make staff sergeant

5. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I don't know if it is necessarily "Not" wanting to be in charge, but maybe never having done so to begin with. That is what worries me, but then again I was worried I'd get beat up with a sock full of soap bars at BMT too :rofl:. I suppose once my leadership cherry is popped I wouldn't care much other than doing a good job.

6. Abomb

Abomb New Member

you are a smart guy burn I dont think you should settle for anything less than officer in whatever branch.

7. burn__

burn__ New Member

i sucked it up and went to the army recruiter today to see what they had to say. he pretty much told me id be stupid to enlist and started me on the OCS packet :mamoru:.

8. Abomb

Abomb New Member

well duh anybody here could have told you that :rofl:

9. Ninja

Ninja OT Supporter

:h5:

10. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

there are also people who would rather be enlisted than officer. junior officers in the navy get treated worse than junior enlisted.. and if you go swo you are asking for a life of miserable assignments hoping one day to get your own ship.

id rather be enlisted where i get to work on the gear and learn shit.

11. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

Depends on what you want to do

from personal experience I can say if you want to do INTEL and actually work go enlisted af, otherwise you are going to be a pen pusher

this is probably true of most officer jobs in the af

12. burn__

burn__ New Member

i want a combat arms job and the only real option for that in the AF is security forces.

i think im going to pursue OCS as far as i can. talking with the recruiter today made me more confident that id actually be able to fill the role as an officer. ROTC just isnt doing that for me lately, its as if we just go through the motions without them actually "teaching" us how to lead instinctively.

if i dont get picked up for OCS, i still have the option for ROTC (not telling them anything yet :mamoru:) or enlisting. but, ill figure that out if/when i come to that door. :bigthumb: