MIL Air Force Crew, what do you do?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Slurms McKenzie, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

I've been severely considering the USAF (not reserves, disregard my last thread) and I'm looking through the various careers trying to decide whats best for me.

They have broadcasting? What the fuck :rofl:, how many people do you know have this job? I work in radio, this would be the easiest shit ever. I noticed that it says "You will be in an overseas imbalanced AFSC and will have a secondary job while stationed in the United States." Can anyone explain to me what this means? I would have two "part-time" AFSC's while in America? How does this work? Anyone?

The listings are mostly vague, so I want to see what you guys do. I'm looking for something computer related, or electrical related, the space and missile programs look "fun" but I doubt I'm smart enough to get in. Any suggestions?

The stupid videos the Air Force puts out make every job seem cool, I know this isn't the case. Also, just to clarify, I will be able to secure a AFSC before shipping out to boot, right? I would hate to get stuck being an airplane mechanic or something, I'm really bad working with my hands.

2. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

Broadcasting would be tough to get., fyi.

I am a 3D1X1

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforceenlistedjobs/a/3d1x2.htm

Crypto/Networking computers. Great job for after the military, plus usually get a TS clearance which is good.

One of the better jobs you can get for experience that you can actually use outside the military. Actual job really depends on where you get stationed, though.

Space and missles may sound cool, but just wait till you are working 12 hour shifts sitting in a silo in N. Dakota :hsd:

And yes no matter what your recruiter says, make sure you have 1 job locked down before you sign.

3. woot

woot wo

Go mechanical engineering and work on new fabrication and manufacturing techniques for servo motors used in satellites.

4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

- AFSC = 3N0x2. Imbalanced AFSC - There are more overseas slots than stateside assignments.

Also found this information via google:
    Sounds like your primary job would be in public affairs unless an opportunity came up overseas for the 3N0X2 job.

- The Air Force will teach anyone willing to accept any AFSC.

- Don't sign the contract until you get the exact AFSC you want. It doesn't mean your interpretation of that AFSC is reality, but at least you had some choice in the matter. Every duty station is different even if you keep the same AFSC.

NOTE: I'm in Intel aka the most boring job ever.

5. fuover4free

fuover4free Active Member

Crew Chief. Easiest job evar. Do it.

6. Slurms McKenzie

Such fast responses! :cool:
    Nice, what do you do on an average day? How long/difficult was the tech school?
    Yeah I don't know part of me would love it just because I love rockets and space. I'll have to do some more research.

I'll definitely get something locked down before I sign.
    Is this even an option for enlisted?

7. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

Right now I am in an AOC (Air Operating Center) working 12 hour shifts in support of Haiti. All of the US military in Haiti right now ( A LOT) is being ran out of my building. I can look up right now and see a live predator (video) feed. :coolugh:

My main job is to maintain the Air Picture, aka radar feeds, etc etc.

Tech school is one of the harder ones, but not too bad if you study a bit (which I never did)

Tech school was 6 months long. A bunch of AFSC's just merged, so this whole 3d1x2 thing is new to me. Tech school is prolly still similar though.

8. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

There are lots of cool jobs, but the key to me was getting a job that I can follow on with after the AF, making good money.

9. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

Go for PJ

10. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

pilot

i start flying the c-5 in march

11. evan2

evan2 Guest

12. 98fiveseven

98fiveseven New Member

Waiting on Basic going to be an inflight refueler.

13. Slurms McKenzie

That's exactly what I want to pursue, any idea of what kind of work you'll be doing in the civilian world?

Also, I just noticed you're in AZ, Davis Monthan? My dad's stationed there, about to retire too he's been in for 25+ years. :cool:

14. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

ICBM's

not a job avaliable to you

15. Skidmark Steve

Skidmark Steve New Member

I'm a 3D1X3 - I am Ground Radio (2E1X3) but my new career field is RF Transmission Systems god.
    Tech school was about 6 months at Keesler AFB in Mississippi.
    My career field is so broad that I can go to any base in the AF.
    Any given base could have several radio shops - base radio, LMR and then anything mission specific plus detachments.
    Clearances can range from Secret to TS depending upon mission.
    I've done everything from field deployments to babysitting hardened communications.
    Living the dream with Big Blue.

16. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

name/rank?

There is ton of stuff I could do in the real world. I'm taking classes right now working towards my compute science degree, being paid for by the Air Force. My 6 years exp in AF + CS degree = easy job 75K +

17. solarsrt4

solarsrt4 New Member

F16 Weapons loader/maintainer. I work in the backshop. Absolutely 0 jobs after military until they start putting chaff/flare on 737's lol. Seriously debating on cross training, i will hit 3 years this oct.

stupid forum doesn't allow me to post links, but google 2w1x1 and you'll find a description.

18. BlueApocalypse

BlueApocalypse New Member

<- 3P051 Security Forces :kdubb: DO EIT

19. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

:hs:

20. evan2

evan2 Guest

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::nono:

21. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I heard contracting can be decent especially when you get out. My neighbor just got and shes negotiating government contracts now in D.C. making pretty good income.

I think its mostly about picking something you can do when you get out. I heard air traffic control is ruff but you can make good money when you get out.

22. evan2

evan2 Guest

Im trying to cross train into contracting as we work with them a lot as it is. Its tough as my job is highly tasked and we are always undermanned.

23. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah when she was in she was always swarmed with paper work but if your on point and organized you'll be good to go. If your not anything like that can be a pain in the ass.

24. evan2

evan2 Guest

yup seems you know the job to a key. It is a lot of work and to get your 7 level you have to take like 24 job related credits. All paid for though so worth it. End of Fiscal year is a pain for them though but the job is quite lax.

Big motto is 6 years 6 figures!

25. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

you definitely need to jump over I can see you doing well over there. I found out a lot about it recently because a friend of mine wants to jump into contracts for that same reason. For stuff like that you are better off going through AF then you are going to college.