MIL Air Force Crew: Promotion Question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mr. Monopoly, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Mr. Monopoly

Mr. Monopoly OT Supporter

I joined up via DEP and will be entering as a Airmen First Class for my college credit. I'm kinda curious to know if I'm going to get raped on the promotion system because of the time in grade section. How much actual consideration is put on the time you've been in your rank/job, and is the fact that on paper, I'll be an E-3 with jack for time going to cost me a lengthy stay in that rank? :hsd:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  2. RedBull

RedBull New Member

E3!=SrA

3. Mr. Monopoly

Edited. Mind in my ass. Sorry.

4. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Yes you're going to be an A1C forever. Get used to it, everyone is. The only way to get to SrA quicker is to get BTZ. Once you get SrA you can expect to have that on about two years if you make SSgt your first time. Two years as an A1C definitely lasted longer than two with SrA on.

5. Mr. Monopoly

So what kind of realistic time am I looking at in A1C?

6. whitecouch

28 months.

7. Mr. Monopoly

Ouch. Do things tend to go a bit quicker once that hump is overcame?

Edited with one extra question: Also is there anything I can do while I'm waiting and working to speed up promotions for later on? (Schooling, volunteering, programs, etc?)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  8. whitecouch

Yes. Do Honor Guard, take some college classes, etc before you go up for SrA below the zone. After you make SrA spend your free time taking more classes and studying for WAPS testing. Study the PDG and your CDCs. Volunteer your butt off, always. For everything. Going in as an A1C you'll have a chance to be a rope in tech school, do that. The more you volunteer for the better you will look.

*edit* oh and promotions never get faster. Once you make SSgt you will wait two test cycles before even testing for TSgt. I was selected August of last year for SSgt and I will not test for TSgt until 2010. If I make it my first time, which will be that cycle I will sew on in 2011. I'll have the opportunity to test for rank again in 2013 for MSgt and if I made that my first time I wouldn't sew on until 2014 or my 10 year mark. It isn't terribly slow but promotions until that point are 100% in your control and based on test scores, decorations, time in grade, and time in service.

9. Mr. Monopoly

Good deal. Thanks for the information and insight. College classes I have covered (BA degree and wanting a Masters), and I'll do as much volunteering as I can hunt down. What do you mean a rope in tech school?

10. whitecouch

Kind of a leadership position really early on. You're responsible for the class. Never stop pursuing an education. Get your Masters, trust me, an A1C with a graduate degree will go places, like OTS.

11. Mr. Monopoly

:isn't sure he wants to go to OTS for fear of being crammed behind a desk:

12. whitecouch

Welcome to life. I am stuck behind a desk. My real job left me outside 12+ hours a day in all weather. I loved it. Promotions and career progression take you strange places.

13. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

The only thing that hurt me by being an A1C going in, was I didn't have alot of time (only 1 EPR) before my BTZ board came around. And with getting shafted with a 4, I probably won't put on SSgt for another 3 years. Do what you can, get a 5, work your butt off, and you can see SrA in 22 months. It doesn't really feel like /forever/, but sometimes you wonder if you'll ever stop getting pooped on. ;) Stick tight.

14. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Don't tell anyone you have a degree. Get your masters and then let your sup know that you are working on your PHD.

Also, they are going to want you to get your AA from the CCAF. Just apply your credits towards this and you should have it when they validate your credits. If you don't get this, it will be frowned upon. Too easy not to get.

15. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

I guess every squadron/career field is different, but from my experience, being a rope means jack shit once you are out of tech school. Doesn't even make it to your first EPR. Honor guard is a good bullet, but instead of dealing with that, there are 11ty other things you can do. With the new EPR format, I would limit myself to 2-3 volunteer jobs per year. Easy shit I ALWAYS do, volunteer time at animal shelters, help set-up/tear-down of squadron party, and donate blood. Don't focus too heavily on volunteer stuff, it just isn't worth it. Once you get to your first permanent duty station, your focus should be blazing through your CDCs as fast as humanly possible. Take your EOC, and then get fully qualified in your job. We won't even let our troops take college classes until all of their core tasks are signed off and the EOC is done. Once you get to that point, then start taking classes.

16. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

do you actually have a degree already or do u just have college credits?

17. Mr. Monopoly

I actually have the BA.

18. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

then why bother enlisting in the first place? just take the straight shot to the money maker and go for OTS off bat. u'll make double the money as an officer vs enlisted.

19. Mr. Monopoly

Because officer work in the intel field from what I've been told is crammed behind a mountain of paper instead of actual intel work.

20. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

pilot?

21. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Do Intel as an Army Warrant Officer.

22. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

well if u think ur going to be doing on the ground HUMINT, james bond, secret squirrel type stuff ur sadly mistaken. yes there are some opportunities to do that stuff. but there aren't that many since this is the air force. as an enlisted intel, you may not be behind a mountain of paper work but u'll still be parked behind a desk n computer screen. if you really wanna be out and about go army or marines.

23. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Chances are, as enlisted intel, you will be assigned to a flying squadron with your sole purpose in life being to make sure everyone's ISOPREP card is current, and giving intel briefings to aircrews using info collected from the OSI field agents.

In other words..GO OTS. DO NOT BE STUPID!!

24. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

haha I work for CCAF and dont have my degree lol. Wasnt a requirement. Anyways, just send your transcipt(s) to us and we can apply and get your CCAF degree.

25. whitecouch

it really is that easy.