MIL Air Force Aviation

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Reznik, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Reznik

Reznik New Member

Hey,
    This question is about being an aircraft pilot in the USAF (any track). What different criteria does the selection committee look for after AFROTC to get into SUPT?

Does anybody have any idea as to how much each factor is considered?

AFOQT?
    Degree - What kind of degrees does the USAF look for in pilots in order of preference?
    What others?

P.S. I already know the vision requirements...

2. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Commanders Recomendation is like 50%,

they look at your BAT tests if you havn't already, you go through a series of tests to test your aptitute for fly. Computerized test that makes you use both sides of your brain at the same time. Its interesting.

They look at your AFOQT scores

how well you did at Field Training (10%)

Degree? no, not really, but the more flight hours you have, the higher your BAT test score is.

Once you're at SUPT, the track you go is chosen by how well you did compared to your classmates, and whats available.

:edit: all of this is done while you're in ROTC and you're chosen while still in the program, unless of course you don't get it and you get your current CO to put in a recommendation for you, but by then you will have already been trained in something else. Avoid training 2x :p

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  3. Reznik

Reznik New Member

The Commander's advice is worth 50%?? holy cow :eek3:

I am a 'non-traditional' looking to join the airforce in the aviation field (pilot). I am 22 and haven't gotten any college under my belt yet.

How is the ROTC structure based? Are you in direct contact with your Commander... or is the Commander like the head of the ROTC at that institution? Hey thanks for replying mang:bigthumb:

EDIT: So they don't consider what degree you take? You can take Electrical Eng. or Art History... it doesn't matter?

How about the grades at school or rather GPA?

And finally its interesting how you mentioned that more flying experience will lead to a higher BAT score. So do most undergrads go thru private pilot training to gain the hours?

thanks again :big grin:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  4. ManinCamo

Well, if you try and join AFROTC with an Elec Eng degree, they'll make you an elec eng. They're picking up 'technical' degrees hardcore. For non-tech's (pretty much everything besides engineering, computer science, etc)

But yea, pretty much. If you're going for pilot or whatever, they don't care what your major is. IE: one of my friends just commissioned in May. Political Science Major - Pilot Slot. Another one had some other major that was much harder - Pilot slot.

Some undergrads go through PPL training to gain hours, but most don't. I have a few hours that I didn't even turn in yet. The guy with the Poly Sci major already had his commercial pilots licence so his scores were VERY high b/c he had a good understanding AND a BUNCH of hours to boost his score. On the flip side, I only have 4-5 hours and I did about as well as he did, just without the boost in the score. He had hundreds of hours to help his score. Also, there were two cadets that went to some ROTC flight summer program with flight training and schooling and stuff, and thier scores were so low that they essentially didn't pass the BAT (like scores of 2-4, vs my score of 60, and my buddies score of 90)

Your C.O. is the head of Aerospace Studies at your detachment. My detachment is pretty small, only about 100-150 cadets at any given time. I got to know my C.O. very well and he was like a father to me while he was there. This is especially true as you advance through the years and the class size dwindles. At my school, an average freshman class has about 100 people. There were 6 that commissioned in May, I will commission in December, and 3 more next may. thats 11 out of 100 that started. And actually only 4 of us have been in the whole 4 years. People come and go, but the further along you are, the smaller your class, the closer you all become. In case you're wondering about those graduation dates... if your in the program past your scheduled senior year of classes, you're refered to as a 'completed cadet' just waiting in limbo until your graduation. There are 5 of us with that status right now. We've done all our training and schooling with ROTC. We just need to get the degree.

5. Reznik

Reznik New Member

I was wondering about this too. I actually have about 25 credits accumulated from taking courses here and there.
    So lets say I have 30 credits... can I still join the ROTC as a freshman? (or do I have to join as a sophomore?)
    I ask this because, I was wondering if people who join in the 2nd or 3rd year are at a disadvantage from getting into the flight program (even in a small way).... because they only have 2 or 3 years of ROTC?

I thought the opposite was true, cuz i read on the AFROTC site that they hand about 75% of the scholarships to technical majors like elec, mech, aero, phys. etc. and all others get 25%.... so but I am glad I know now. And only 4 of you got commissioned:eek3:. wow. thats great! I have more questions... but this should do for now, thanks. :)

And how are things for you? How confident are you of being selected? What scholarship were you able to get in ROTC?

6. ManinCamo

Confidence of being selected? about 60%
    I'm the only one from my detachment going up for a pilot slot and my commander liked me(He retired this summer :( ) My scores are fairly competitive. They're not super high, but they're not bottom of the barrel either.

Yes, most of the scholarships go to tech majors. However if you get picked up with that as your major, thats because they want you FOR that major. While its not 100% that you won't get a pilot slot, if you're a tech major and you want a slot you better be damn good.

It is harder to get contracted (you can contract and NOT get a scholarship) if you're a non-tech. I barely scooted by myself, and we've lost 70% of what are now the juniors and seniors due to them not getting contracted. They're really not playing around when it comes to thinning out the Air Force officer pool.

It a real catch 22. Just go in doing what you do and then try for a pilot slot.

I got a two year, $3000/year scholarship. Of course I'm paying out of state truition, so that didn't help much but it was better than nothing.

Regarding your credits, How long are you going to be in school? that will answer your question. If you have 4 years of schooling left, start at the freshman level, if you have 3 years left, start as a sophmore level. Of course your best answer on this will come from your cadre - go to the detachment and ask which they would prefer you sign up for.

7. Reznik

Reznik New Member

I am not really going to major in any tech... I was asking because I thougth they prefered candidates with technical majors (thought flying required having knowledge of technical fundamentals or background). But I guess they teach you everything about that.
    Well I haven't started yet, nor have I decided yet, its all up in the air haha. There are lot of pros but there are cons too, to becoming a pilot IMO. However, it differs for everybody ofcourse.

Anyway, Thanks for all the info and good luck to you... and if you do get in, and I do too... then I'll see you in the skies some day. :bigthumb: