MIL Air Force Air Force, WTF Do I Do?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DVS Man, Jul 18, 2007.

1. DVS Man

DVS Man Where the fuck is Battle Cat?

Little run-down on me,

1. 23 years old
    2. 1.5 years of UNC-Charlotte completed
    3. Interested in Computer Field
    4. Four Semesters of the Cisco Certified Networking Agent (CCNA) classes completed in High school
    5. About $2500+ in debt

Basically, I am just in a twisted crossroad I have brought myself to. I am not making judgements on the other branches, I just believe Air Force would be the best fit for me. My dad is a 30 yr Marine vet (Lt. Col, in vietnam when he was 18.) My mom was a marine as well.

As I sit here thinking about my job as a server at the Cheesecake Factory, I don't know if I can take care of my debt while attending school. If I finish the rest of my college up, it'll be hard to do it full time since I have to pay my own bills w/ zero assistance. I don't want to finish 2.5 yrs of school in 4 yrs of time. I've passed up on the Air Force after speaking w/ the recruiter for awhile a yr ago, decided to see if I could make it myself. Turns out it isn't working w/ whatever I'm doing.

I would want to choose where I can be stationed at for my 2 yr training for my field and/or my remaining 2 yrs. Also, is it easily feasible to attend a university to achieve my bachelor's degree while I'm in the Air Force?

Additionally, what is the starting pay like for <40 credits of school when you enter boot camp? I think it's an E-2 pay scale. How much per month do I get? With everything being paid for, (housing, food, full medical/dental coverage), could it be easy to pay off everything I owe when I'm going through the fundementals of the Air Force?

As you can see everyone, I am ridiculously curious on the matter. If I can't make up this decision myself since its a 4 year commitment and I'm a bit worried that at 27 I could be a bit behind as everyone else is, that I'm hoping you all have something positive/negative to say on it. HELP the lost one.:sadwavey:

2. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

sorry you may get to choose what top 5 jobs you want and may get that job, but where they train and where you are stationed is determined by the needs of the air force.

depends on the job, depends on how much work you want to do

your 23 and you cant search for the Military pay scale on google. E2 makes 1458.90 a month minus taxes. can you pay off your debt...up to you, not the AF if you blow your money then no, 2500 is not a lot of debt though.

i joined when I was 26, diffrent situation but im sure you will find others your age joining

3. mrj

mrj New Member

All of the pay questions can be answered at military.about.com, I think E2s make something like 1100/mo + BHA.. but keep in mind you won't be getting BHA unless you actually live off base.

You are $2500 in debt, why can't you take care of that while going to school and working? That's what, $100/mo minimum payments? I'm 23 and I think 35k in debt between car/college/bills

I think if you have 35+ credits you'll graduate bootcamp as an E3 as opposed to E2.

When i went to join the USAF at 19 they told me I couldn't choose my job, but that I could choose a category. And the 3c0x1/whatever system/network administrator positions were under some really generic category where I'd either end up working on weather balloons or those jobs. I was dying to work in computers, so I passed on that.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  4. DVS Man

was boot camp not that bad in your head? Did you regret at all joining at your age? How's your financial situation nowadays. Thanks for the reply by the way, means a lot even if responders aren't in the air force as well. Just a helpful thought is all I really need from you all.

5. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

jmx pretty much summed it up.

6. Jyokker

I don't know why everybody worries about where their tech school is. You will be so busy you won't care.

7. mrj

mrj New Member

Boot camp should be the least of your worries, giving the next 4 years of your life and what roadmaps that will change regarding your future should be #1.

I'm not in the military, I'm seriously contemplating joining, I'm sure bootcamp will suck ass, but I'm not afraid at all of it. Don't go in as a fat jelly roll with no endurance, and be aware that they're doing everything they can to break you down to make you a better soldier, and I would think you'd do fine. The more you get your ass kicked in bootcamp, the strong you come out, right? :mamoru:

8. Jyokker

Ask to come in as a 2E2x1 if you want the best shot at working on networks. 3C0x1 and 3C2x1 just opened their pipeline to new students again, but it is minimal and your chances of getting the job are slim.

9. Jyokker

If you can wait tables successfully, then you shouldn't have a problem in boot camp. It takes common sense, a will to learn, the ability to follow directions, and physical ability.

10. mrj

mrj New Member

Oh I forgot to mention, all of the 3C0x1's I met in Tampa were desktop support people. I'm a Network Administrator and I'd kill myself before I did that.

Hopefully not all of them get stuck in that role. :hs:

11. Jyokker

BTW, what kind of debt?

12. mrj

mrj New Member

2E2X1 would interest me

13. DVS Man

Debt:

Car on Loan for $2000
    School: $780
    CC: $2350

Forgot the CC on that one.

14. Jyokker

Do you know the difference between compound interest and simple interest?

If so, joining the AF would really help you be able to pay off that debt: http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=48132274&postcount=5

15. DVS Man

At my age of 23, when I get out, if I choose to get out after 4 years, how capable am I to get a good job that would usually require a bachelor's degree if I'm unable to finish the rest of my schooling. Also with this G.I. bill I hear about, what are the specs w/ that? Money per month, with a prequisite of what?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  16. DVS Man

Will the airforce pay for my schooling after I get out? Or only when I'm in. (4 year university) Also, what is the 2 year training degree equivalent to, a community college degree?

17. mrj

mrj New Member

Dude you need to do your research.

You'll have on the job experience +1
    You'll have the military on your resume +1
    You'll probably have some type of security clearance +1

Just like in Civilian life (I have no degree) I can land $65k jobs, but it'd be 10000x easier to land them with my Bachelors.

The GI bill lasts a certain number of years in and out of the military. I don't know what "2 year training degree" you mean..

18. Jyokker

The CCAF is a community college associates degree. Depending on your initiative, and course load, you should be able to complete a degree. The AF offers $4500 every fiscal year towards tuition to an accredited college. If you need more, you can tap into the MGIB, and FAFSA Pell grants. The MGIB increases often. It would be very hard to pinpoint the value of it four years from now. All I can say is that it is the best $1200 you could ever spend.

19. DVS Man

What $1200 are you talking about?

20. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

with the GI Bill you pay 100 a month for 12 months and once you get out it will pay you somewhere in the area of 1000 a month for certin number of credits up to 10 yrs after you get out.

its pretty close to that, i dont remember exactly

21. DVS Man

Did any of you regret it once you went in? Could you have made it w/out the AF? Oh big question, I know it fully depends on what field I join, but how quickly could I get deployed to boot camp once I sign my papers?

22. Jyokker

Most people I talk to talk fondly about their deployments. It sucked while they were there, but they had a good time.

23. DVS Man

Doesn't the AF have a clause in the contract saying that you will be able to get out of apt. leases b/c of military deployment? I wonder how many places allow for that.

24. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

when you leave really has to do with the job and when an opening comes up, you could walk in and score high enough for the job you want and they have an opening in like a week and go....or they could have an opening in 2 months and you have to wait

that is if your in weight reg's, can pass the physical and score right on the asvab

lol can anybody tell I just did recruiters assistance

25. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

you wont be living off base for a while unless your married, so i wouldnt worry about that at all and for a deployment you really wouldent want to move out of your apt...for a permanent change of station you would get out of a lease with out a problem