Air-Cooled vs Liquid-Cooled

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by machine81, May 11, 2005.

1. machine81

machine81 New Member

What are everyone's feeling on air-cooled vs liquid-cooled bikes? I've only owned one bike and it was LC. I'm now looking for another bike and I'm considering going with AC. I know LC bikes make better power, but I'm looking for something that is ultra reliable and a radiator is just another thing to worry about.

I'm mainly looking at the Honda CB750 (Nighthawk 750). I'm looking at something that is fairly light (less than 500lbs wet) and makes decent power that is air-cooled. Are there any other bikes besides Buell, Ducati Monster, and Harley Sportster (883 or 1200) that fit this bill?

2. Peter Gibbons

Peter Gibbons OT Supporter

How often do you drive in hot weather or in traffic?

3. machine81

machine81 New Member

I live in Washington now, so not much. It's pretty cool here most of the time.

I know what you're getting at though. The air-cooled engines run hotter.

4. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Liquid cool > Air cool stuff

5. machine81

machine81 New Member

Why?

Like I said, I know liquid-cooling makes more power, it's simple thermodynamics, but do you have any other reason besides that?

6. {WBK}Blood_Lust

{WBK}Blood_Lust New Member

I hate the idea of air cooled. It has to work ok though since so many bikes are made that way but if you're caught in traffic or if its' a super hot day you're riding may be restricted a bit plus running hot like that will hurt your performance big time.

If you live where traffic isn't a concern and the weather isn't real hot then it probably isn't a real big deal unless you're aiming for pure power.

7. Monstrddg

Monstrddg New Member

My 110ci air cooled v-twin yami motor w\10.5:1 pistons had NO trouble making loads of power through 100* South Dakota Bad Lands and certainly has no problems with stop and go Chicago tollway traffic. If air cooled bike motors were not reliable they simply wouldnt sell in the Nevada Desert, Texas, Florida, or Cali.. We all know thats simply not the case.

Pinging..... whats that sound like. With 92 octane and a PCIII Ive never heard it

The reason air cooled bikes arnt making hp figures like their watercooled brethren is by design. A big bore, long stroke v2 motor making tons on tourqe vs. small bore, short stroke i4 making tons of hp.

Another differance is weight. My 605lb cruiser is a lightweight compared to other cruisers but a fatass when put next to a aluminum\kevlar\carbon fiber\plastic fly-weight sportbike

Id challenge any water cooled I4 to show tourqe(power) figure like I can. I know their out there but its just not common

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  8. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

well air cooled stuff can over heat, which leads to loss in performance, where liquid cool enignes can maintain there temp even on hot days.
    So I guess reliability is an issue too...?