GUN Aimpoints -- I just Can't Stop!!!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by USMCsilver, Dec 2, 2005.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Got another one in the mail today. I think this will suffice for a while; well, I am still on waiting to outfit a 10/22 with one, but, well, I'm going to try and contain myself for a while -- that is, of course, if I don't come across some deal that's just "too good" to pass up.

Does anyone else think that they are the greatest red dot around?

[​IMG]

2. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Well having never looked though one I cant tell you if its the best. What are they like for longer range shooting?

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:eek3:I likem but I'de go broke outfitting all my rifles with them. I have one aimpoint and one tacpoint, and a kobra for the sar2

4. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Depends really. On the far right, I have a 10 MOA dot. Too big for anything past 25 yards for precision shooting, but kicks ass for speed.

2nd from right is a 7 MOA (I think). Nice, but again, not for distance.

On the HK is a 5 MOA. Better for distance, but not the best.

Now, on the FAL is a 3 MOA and I don't have a problem using it at long ranges.

Soon, I plan on getting an Aimpoint 3x and a Samson flip mount; that should help somewhat at greater distances.

My only problem with that is the justification behind it. The scope is about $400 and the mount $250. For that price, I could spend just a tad more and get an ACOG. Hell, I dunno what to do. Granted, I could use the Samson/3x combo on 3 rifles, but the ACOG could be used on everything. Decisions...decisions...

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'de go with ACOG

6. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

Eotech >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Aimpoint

7. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

can you even get an ACOG? I thought all of their manufacturing went to military contracts, supposedly they were backed up for awhile.

8. Ghostrider4450

You can get them. The question is, do you want to spend an AR15s amount of money on one? I wouldnt.

9. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

You should spend as much as it takes to make your gun better for fighting even if that means you will own fewer guns...

10. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Yes.

11. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

i think it's time for you to build an AR going the simplistic route. nice M4gery with a detachable carry handle and 6pos stock.

12. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

carry handle :hay:

id rather have flip up sights on a flat top

13. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Simplistic?

Why would someone want a detachable carry handle when they could just have an A1 or A2 upper that is stronger, costs less and weighs less? Yes you limit your future optic mounting options but most people won't spend the money to put a good optic on their rifle anyway.

14. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Build a simplistic model? Why?

All I have to do is throw a few levers and I've got a basic rifle -- who could ask for more versitility?

15. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

you answered your own question. everyone should have at least 1 A2 though. I have an Armalite national match that's an A2.

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:dunno: flat top with flip up sights works fine with me and better expandability
    I do have an A1 and A2 upper both of which I plan to get rid of.

17. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

well, it's basically the same thing as an A2, so that's fine, but in my opinion A2s just look cool. A1s are useless though.

18. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No argument they do look good but I prefer not having to go out and buy brackets and shit to mount optics when i can just putem directly on an upper.

19. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I'm sure many here won't agree with me but the A1 sights with same-plane aperatures is a much better sight system than the A2.

20. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I do like the A1 setup, the only reason I'm gunna get rid of it is its postban setup someone cut the bayo lug off and turned the barrel threads down. Yeah i know i dont really need any of those features but I'm moving to a free state and dont want to be reminded of this hell hole, and I have enough uppers as it is I'de rather dump the A1 and get a magpul stock :cool:

21. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The BAC is good, but an Aimpoint or EOTech still puts it to shame for close in speed. Only way to cover all your bases in one optic would be a S&B Short Dot. :big grin:

22. Accord

Accord New Member

What's a good way to clean the lensees on both sides of the Aimpoint? I got crud all around the edges of the lenses that I can't get out.

23. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Go to Sunglass Hut. Get a sunglasses cleaning kit with the nice littly raggy and spray. Works like a charm.

24. Ghostrider4450

I have one carbine/rifle (excluding 10/22). Whats your point? Does spending 700-900 dollars on an ACOG make the rifle better for fighting? Sure, one could say that. But im not sure if I want to drop close to a grand to get an optic, unless I know its really good. Even though our troops are using it, I still am not sure. What are all the apertures they make?

25. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

My answer was to challange the way you think about outfitting your rifle. Check out what you wrote originally:

If you think about things in terms of what guns you could buy with the money you are spending on improving one you already own you are falling into the "more guns is better" trap. Who cares that you are spending what another AR costs?

This is the same problem with people paying for professional training. They think they are wasting money on training that could be spent on another gun. The problem is that most gun owners can't shoot all that well and even fewer can fight well. There always seems to be money for another gun to sit in the safe but never funds to learn how to use the ones you already own.

If your only aspiration is to have a large gun collection than none of the above applies. If you want to have guns to defend yourself you should spend what it takes to make those guns the best they can be for fighting. You should also spend what it takes to learn to fight using your guns.