SRS Aimlessly going through college

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by muchepicfail, Dec 18, 2009.

1. muchepicfail

muchepicfail Member

I'm a junior going into winter quarter of a 4-year university. I've pretty much spent my college career taking random classes, repeatedly failing several of the same ones. Still an undeclared major and I have no idea what to major in.
    Parents have no idea of how badly I'm doing and I'm trying to keep it that way. But problems stem a lot deeper than just not knowing what classes to take or what to major in.

Every passing day feels hollow and meaningless. If I don't distract myself with something to do, I start thinking about how pathetic my life is, how pitiful I am as a person, and how I've accomplished nothing.

I was a smart kid back in grade school up to middle school. By time I was in high school, I started becoming very pessimistic and cynical about life. Still maintained decent grades but it held no meaning for me. I didn't even bothered going to my graduation ceremony to avoid the unnecessary attention.

Only social interaction I had with friends were at school and through gaming on computer. When I did want to leave the house to hang out with friends, parents were too overprotective/anal to let me go.

Dunno why I care so little about my life/future. Am I just bitching and being too lazy/not willing to put the effort in to making life better?

2. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I had a similar problem. I started with Electrical Engineering and went from nearly straight A's from K-12 and very high ACT scores to almost flunking out of college every semester. I was burned out, didn't know what I wanted to pursue, and felt isolated. The classes simply didn't interest me. Professors looked at me with contempt when I missed 50% of classes, which made me want to show up even less.

I think you aren't sure what constitues a better life. You need something to look forward to, and a plan of how to achieve it. Is there no subject in school that interests you? I got out of my rut when I finally got through the preliminary classes and got the Electrical Engineering stuff that really interested me. I started getting involved, made some friends, and started really enjoying college. You have to find something you like and just jump in 100%.

Also, it sounds like you are depressed. Bad parenting and lack of social interaction can do that to you. What do you do for excersize and how is your diet? I bet if you improved in those areas it would be much easier to find something interesting and pursue it.

3. muchepicfail

muchepicfail Member

I wasted the first two years of college that are supposed to let students decide what they're interested in so now, I don't have the grades or prerequisites for any major if I want to graduate in 4 years.

As for exercising and diet, I don't do any exercising except for biking to classes (when I do decide to go) and I hardly eat a complete meal anymore. Usually just go through the day eating w/e is in the freezer or not eating anything at all. Too lazy to bother taking care of myself I guess...

4. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

I don't usually throw this out there, ever...but I will this time.

I was a mediocre at best student from K-12 because I simply didn't like school. None of the subjects interested me and I didn't see how a lot of the subject matter applied to life in the real world. Teachers would have parent conferences with my folks and they (both parties) would always say the same thing...that I have all this potential but I just don't apply myself. They could see it in the things I enjoyed outside of school (cars, motorcycles). When I find a real interest in something, I charge 100% into it and learn as much as I can, where comprehension is done without even trying.

But I stayed doing shitty in school. Even worse, when I looked beyond HS...I didn't see ANYTHING at all in the civilian world (oh believe I looked for years) that interested me like my hobbies. So, I joined the military. It's amazing what they will let an 18-year old kid with no criminal history do, as long as you're into it and qualify. So that's what I did, and now I'm extremely happy with my life and have a career that I enjoy doing everyday. Because it INTERESTS ME I do very well in it. I don't try to tell college kids about the military often because, let's face it...this isn't your grandfather's generation. Kids are much different these days and most see the military as a last resort/cop out which is an ignorant shame. And you do have to have a certain level of patriotism to do it, because the sacrifices you make are endless it seems...but worth it. That's why it's not for everyone, less than 1% of the current population to be exact.

My advice to you is get your head in the field that most interests you and go full-tilt boogie. Deal with all the other shit you have to do but don't enjoy...that way when you have your degree and get started on your career you will be doing something you love to do and it'll be worth it. Nothing in life worth achieving comes easy.

5. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Not eating healthy is almost guaranteed to throw you into a rut. Start making full, healthy meals for yourself.

6. muchepicfail

muchepicfail Member

At this point, I just want to get some sort of plan worked out to finish up college in 4 years and not make this a big complicated problem. Don't even really care what I major in anymore as long as I get it done by my 4th year. I want to avoid a scenario where I end up taking 5 years to finish college because that entails explaining EVERYTHING to my parents...

7. Beege

Beege If I had a dime for every time I was wrong, I'd be

I wasted my first 2 full years in college adjusting and trying to fit in...I swear I did so well in high school, and then college BAM first semester, D's, C's, B's...it was ridiculous. I transferred to a school closer to home, buckled down and finished in 2 more years.

8. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Took me five years. If you flunked a bunch of classes, 5 years is what you will probably have to do if you are doing any decent major.

Start getting A's and B's, then tell your parents you fucked up but are now on the right track. If you overload on coursework, you are gonna have to really buckle down cause you will be doing nearly 4 years of work in 2 years.

9. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

So let me get this right....you're confused about what you want to do for a living. Every profession you consider/explore, you see the bad and conclude it's not for you. When you see your fellow students progressing, it gets even more depressing.

Now you're also scared shitless of your parents and won't share your confusion/discontent with them. You won't reach out for help because you don't think you need help. You just want to pick something, graduate then what? Tell the parents to fuck off? Move out on your own and enter the working world? Yeah right.

Am I close to the mark?

You do realize that college, career, marriage, kids and all that other shit isn't for everyone right? I mean, some people just don't fit into corporate America and that's really OK.

Sorting out what you want to do is really difficult for a lot of people. Find something that you can throw yourself into. Perhaps it has something to do with gaming. Perhaps you should study graphic art, programming and/or design with the goal of working in the gaming industry.

Life is too short to work shitty jobs, a career in a boring profession, a life of no meaning where you're pursuing some dream that your parents have for you but you're totally bored in. Find your passion, pursue that and have guts enough to stand up for your own desires.

10. muchepicfail

muchepicfail Member

On top of all this crap spinning around in my head, I just got dumped with more good news. Mom comes back from work early saying someone rear-ended her car beyond repair and so I gotta help her buy a new car. I also find out that we're moving to Vegas... So if things do fall through at my university and I decide to take a break from school or something, I get to spend my time in Vegas, away from any of my friends. Wished I wasn't so physically, mentally, and emotionally weak to handle these everyday problems... No point bitching about it; just going to wait until I get back to school and see what counselors and academic advisors tell me to do.

11. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

How about you eat a real meal 3 times a day for a month and start seeing some sunshine. From your posts, I woudl say a big reason you feel weak is because you are malnutritioned and inactive. You definetley have some issues you need to work out, but your brain cant operate without the right vitamins and minerals.