Aim Profile Tracking

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 3l_Chupacabra, Oct 30, 2004.

1. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

Hey all, looking for something a little weird, tried googling it with no luck, so thought I would check here. I'm wondering if there is any way to have a log kept of who has visited your profile, and the number of times they have done so, without requiring them to click a link or do anything besides view your profile to be logged. I know that your profile is stored as a registry value on your computer, so there has to be SOME way of doing this, but if anyone has actually bothered is what I'm wondering. The list can be generated on a website or on my computer or even in my profile or wherever, so long as they don't have to click any links to be logged. Thanks for your help.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If you can put an image on your profile, you could make a PHP script that outputs an image and logs everyone who views it.

3. mel my finger

mel my finger New Member

Dunno if that's possible right now...your profile is stored as an info.html file in your Application Data folder (ie C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Application Data\AIM)...but its only loaded once from your hard drive -- when you first log onto AIM.

So when someone checks your profile, it'll load from some sort of cache, not directly from your hard drive.

Away messages are the ones that are stored in the registry...but I'm assuming that its loaded the same way, only once when you first log on.

AIM does something to tightly limit html in the profiles/away messages...so there would be no way of tracking via hotlinked images.

The only thing you can do right now is put a link in your profile to some php script that'll log the screenname/time/date/ip when the user clicks on it...exactly what imchaos and other things do.

4. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

Well damn. Figured there had to be some way, though an image in my profile isn't really an option since AIM doesn't let you do that. Is it possible to perhaps get some edited version of the AIM program that does that logging? Or no... I dunno, it bothers me that there is no way, never believed in that line when it comes to computers, but there definitely is stuff I don't know enough to do, and I guess this is one of them.

5. SpunkyXL

SpunkyXL OT Supporter

Trust me..the girl u want to look at u'r profile most likely isn't... :mamoru:

6. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

too bad I have a girlfriend =P

it was actually an argument between my roommate and I, he claimed you couldn't log visitors to your profile without a link, and I claimed you could, but I guess I was wrong.

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

He is absolutely right.

8. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

You cant log in users without a link, no way no how unless u have access to aim servers or work at aim and somehow modify the software or their server somehow