SRS Ahhh! I can't overcome it...!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Socrates, May 12, 2008.

1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Clutteriness!

I live by myself and I have plenty of time to clean. I have a decent-sized two-bedroom house and a shed outside.

Despite these facts, you still can rarely see the tops of any of my tables. I just looked around my computer desk, and here are some of the items within 1 foot of my hand: Note Cards from my public speech class that I haven't used in 4 months. Math notes that I wrote down when I still had my math class about 3 months ago. A cup that I drank water out of at least 3 weeks ago. The battery-cover to an mp3 player I threw away 5 months ago. Four books that I finished reading at least 2 months ago. An empty 20-oz Diet Pepsi bottle that I drank at least 2 weeks ago. An Age of Empire III disk that I played for 30 minutes and haven't touched since I bought it over 7 months ago. A schedule for my math class from LAST semester that started in September.

While I was growing up, my Mom was the exact same way. I used to criticize her for her clutter. When she would yell at me and my brother "This house is a fucking mess! You boys don't clean ANYTHING!" we would respond with "If we didn't have so much useless stuff it wouldn't be a problem, Mom."

Now, at age 21, I am doing exactly what I swore I would never do. It just seems so easy to set something down and think "I'll take care of it later." I get so tired of going on my cleaning sprees every once in a while and taking care of it, only to see it all come back a month later.

I know the obvious answers are things like "buy a paper shredder" or "just throw it away." It's extremely easy to see the logical answer, but I still can't manage to do it. Almost every fat person knows the right food to eat and how much to exercise, but they don't. It's a habitual thing for me. Every once in a while I'll get motivated and throw everything away right then, but it only lasts a week or so then I regress.

Does anyone have these same problems, or perhaps any help?

2. Worn

Worn New Member

The only advice I can give, is stop procrastinating and throw shit away...and I have the same issues. Just go through your stuff and do the move check. "If I was going to move right now, would I take this with me?" I've found once it gets overwhelming for most (piled up), by the time they clean house they would be do disgusted to let it get that way ever again.

So in short, try and clean it all in one day, and you'll realize how much time was spent tidying up. That should be enough motivation to clean as you go in the future.

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Ugh, that would drive me nuts. My OCD is pretty bad and I'm practically shaking just reading about your desk :( My bf is a little messy but also a hoarder and this greatly distresses me for when we move in together. He keeps useless papers around for a long time.

The thing is you recognize this issue yet do nothing to fix it. The answer is relatively simple, throw your shit away :rofl: Every week now I try and make my bf go through the giant stack of mail he has. He shreds most of it and I help.

This all takes willpower. The trash won't hop into the trashcan by itself and you know it. So one day when you are bored and have nothing to do just clean up some of your space :dunno:

4. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Jeez....I haven't read my mail in 3 months.

5. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

Are you just not motivated to clean up, or do you put everything there for a reason?

Personally my living space is a mess in a way, but I put everything in a place for a reason, and I know where it all is. Regardless of what people say I don't want to change it, I like it how it is. I know it's messy but it makes perfect sense to me. :dunno:

If I aquire something new it goes into the previous mess, if someone moves my mess I get distressed about it because everything is not in its place. :squint:

So figure it out, do you like things how they are, or do you lack motivation to do anything about it?

6. iwishyouwerebeer

He's exactly the same way. Now I try to make him. It's a good thing I did because he opened one piece of mail (3 months old) that had a $400 check in it and another giving him a very important deadline that he forgot about.

7. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I procrastinate a lot but once I start, I keep on going and going.

8. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

If you are putting things off and letting things stack up, maybe you need to get a bin or a shelf or something to place stuff on. It will be your designated area/basket/folder etc to keep stuff in and maybe once a month you can go through it to see what you do and what you do not need. This is easier to do with papers and mail that piles up. Not so much for odds and ends that might end up on your desk.

For bottles and such, use a trash bag and at the end of the week (or maybe two weeks), the bag will get full and you will no choice but to take it out? You may not be able to keep things from cluttering up, but you can still organize the clutter some and keep everything else tidy. Hope that helps! good luck :)

I'm a packrat myself.

9. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

i clean stuff to clean up dirtiness. such as taking out the trash, cleaning the floors, dusting, etc. but as for stuff all over the place, after trying really hard to keep things clean and organized, i realized that the time i took to keep things clean was just as stressful as having to deal with it. so there's no way to win.

i don't get how some people can live with absolutely nothing around. i have a different style of living. i'm not going to drink my coffee just in the kitchen. i use my headphones everywhere around the house. it's going to be left in some random area. same thing with the phone. clothes i tried on earlier are still out because i didn't wear them, but might wear them later, so i'm not going to hang them back up.

the bed is never nicely made because i am usually under a comforter when browsing the internet on my bed. i'm never at a desk.

if everything is not out it's going to be overstuffing the drawers. i did clean it all out recently, along with my closet, so there's more stuff out than normal, that i haven't gone through to try to clean up and put in the other room which is full of boxes. :o

i use almost everything that i have a lot all of the time and that is the problem. :dunno:

10. Jester

Jester OT Supporter

Hmm. I don't think I've ever had the junk situation you have, but I tend to do things all at once.

For example, when I'm working out and eating right, I'm also keeping up with laundry, dusting regularly, making my bed, and getting my hair cut every two weeks.

When I'm being lazy and eating pizza, my laundry piles up, I get random dusty clutter everywhere, and I'll go a month or more without getting a haircut.

11. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I had the same problem but i found the cause for it, the problem = thinking.

You see the moment you start thinking = the moment you procastrinate.

My solution = Put your mind on zero and do it.

You see i've found there are two type of people in this context. 1 The people who do without thinking, and 2 the people who think without doing.

The people who do without thinking should think before they do, and the people who think without doing , are the people who should do first and think later.

You are the type of person that needs to take immediate action BEFORE thinking about it. When you come into the house, clean up. Don't think about it, not even a second move your arms and clean like a zombie, that's all there is to it.

12. iwishyouwerebeer

Clean for your daughter's sake :p

Seriously though, if she's going to be coming to your house you shouldn't have a bunch of garbage just lying around for her to eventually start grabbing and putting in her mouth (because in the next year she definitely will).

13. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

:rofl: BAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA the best part is, I was thinking to myself that I really need to get my ass of OT and clean my pig sty apt but then I'm thinking... well, one more thread... Oh the ironing :rofl:

Dude, I have no advise what so ever. I'm EXACTLY the same way. And I live in a 450 square foot studio. Imagine that chaos! Last time my bf was here, he walks in the door and says- Holy shit Katie! It looks like someone broke into your apt.... but didn't steal anything...:ugh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anyway, I am glad you posted this- lots of good advise. I'm off to clean :wavey: Good luck, Ace!

14. Sandwich

Sandwich OT Supporter

it's eery reading the first lines of your post. i live by myself.. in a decent sized 2 bedroom house..with a shed outside. and i have clutter everywhere. although my gf is slowly helping me gain control of everything..throwing stuff away, cleaning out closets, putting stuff away.. it's still pretty bad. Reason being is just like you said.. this is how i grew up.. and ironically, i grew up in this same house but now i own it. So some of this stuff in the closets and such have been there for 15 years :rofl:

slowly but surely bro..it comes together. i make a new dent everyday in something.

once piece of advice i wll give you though..once you start rampage cleaning and throwing stuff out.. don't forget about the everyday household chores. dishes, clean the bathroom, mop floors, vacuum etc. that was my problem for a while.. so much organizing and not enough everyday stuff. it takes a lot to live by yourself, especially alone in a big house.