Ahh External Harddrive Help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by zackflavored, May 10, 2005.

1. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

I just bought an external hard drive case for my PB and although it works, I used a hard drive that was previously used on a Windows PC. So now I have this problem of my Local Disk being read-only. Anyone have any idea how to solve this problem without losing all my shit?!?! Thanks a bunch OT :hs:

2. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

erase it and format it to mac os extended. all done in disk utility

3. falconbrad

falconbrad "You're one angry white boy."

If I understand you correctly, you have data on that drive that you want to keep, so formatting it isn't an option until you grab the data. Do you know what the drive is formatted in? NTFS? Fat32? You can read and write in OS X in Fat32, but OS X can only read NTFS (so based on what you've said, I'm going to guess it was NTFS). Really, your best option is to grab the data you want to keep, store it somewhere long enough to format the drive as OS X Extended, and then copy your shit back over to the external drive... One thing's for sure, I wouldn't format it as Fat32... you'll take a huge performance hit.

4. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

ah thanks a lot, but just wondering, if after I change it to OS X extended, will it be able to be used on PCs still?

5. falconbrad

Nope.

6. turbo91

turbo91 New Member

Not when it's directly connected...though, there are some software packages for Windows that allow you to read Mac drives...search google for them.

You can always share the drive using SMB on the Mac, and access it through the network on your Windows PCs.

7. falconbrad

I've used a few of those in the past... and their operation was something akin to OS X's write "support" for NTFS. Terrible. You might try them again, but I think Windows sharing (SMB) is the best way to go for getting stuff off the drive. Shouldn't have been so quick to tell you "no."