AHH Boot.ini help!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by noodl35, Apr 2, 2004.

1. noodl35

noodl35 Guest

Now my dads computer is having a problem. PC is running windows xp professional. I'm not sure if he deleted the actual boot.ini or theres a virus. But anyhow after i turn on his pc it says "invalid boot.ini runnings from C:\windows". Even that doesnt do anything, it loads windows then the computer restarts. I've tried using the repair recovery system on the xp cd but when i get done doing bootcfg /rebuild, it says that it failed to implement it into the bootlist. So i dont know what else todo. If anyone has any suggestions. I'd really appreciate it! Thanks

2. Ximian

Ximian New Member

The actual boot.ini is in your C:\ (or whatever your "system root drive" is) so look at that. Paste both files.

3. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

4. noodl35

noodl35 Guest

well since i cant access windows on my dads computer. I'm trying to get my boot.ini on my own personal computer onto his. I found one boot.ini file under C:\, but i could not find any "root" folder.

col_panic: I've tried using the microsoft technical help alreadie but for somereason when i try to rebuild a boot file it wont let me saying that there was an error on trying to add to the bootlist. So i cant go through that route i dont think. Anyone else have any suggestions?

5. col_panic

c:\ is the root folder of the c: drive

d:\ is the root of the d: drive, etc.

you can always edit the boot.ini manually

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;289022

6. noodl35

noodl35 Guest

how do i edit the boot.ini file under dos on my dads computer. remember i cant get into his windows. I tried the rebuilding/edit feature in Windows recovery. Anything else i can do?

7. col_panic

go here:

http://bootdisk.com/

and you can download a bootdisk image that you can use to boot the machine. supposedly you can edit the boot.ini with:

http://bootdisk.com/files13/editbini.zip

i haven't tried the utils. normally i would just use an editor, but i don't know which editors are available in the recovery console. anyone? bueller?

8. Ximian

Ximian New Member

F8 after POST, boot up into console mode or something like that, change directory to C:\ and 'edit boot.ini'