AGP vid card for under $100?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gundam, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Gundam

Gundam Tell Drama he's on my to do list, right after inse

I don't know anything about current cards. I have a 9800 pro right now running off an A64 2800+ (1.8ghz) with 1gb of ram. I don't plan on building a new rig until a few months after Vista is released so I need a new gfx card to hold me over. What vid card do you guys recommend for under $100. I understand I won't be able to handle the newest games at the best resolutions. Or am i just wasting my money trying to upgrade the vidcard with my current setup?

2. soundmaster2.0

soundmaster2.0 Toasted OT Supporter

For under a hundred dollars I would say that you should probably wait. The 9800 is probably a better card than any that you are going to get for under a hundred dollars. I may be wrong but this is from my experience.

3. Gundam

That's what Im starting to read up on. I guess my 9800 isn't as ancient as I thought. There are openbox X800GTO 256MB for $90 on newegg, and I was wondering if it was worth upgrading. :dunno:

4. soundmaster2.0

I have an x800xt and it runs most games at 1280x1024 but IMHO if you are going to upgrade to vista you should save your money for a directx 10 card. From what I hear you will be able to play dx10 games on dx9 cards but you wont get some of the graphics features of dx10.

5. Gundam

That's the thing. When I do upgrade to vista (which will most likely be next summer), I'm building an entirely new rig. I'm just wondering if it was worth upgrading my vid-card to hold me over for the next 6 months :hs:

6. Create

Create :free at last:

IMO, no. You might see a small improvement for your $100. Unless you are pushing the limits of the 9800 daily, I would just wait.

7. soundmaster2.0

That is basically what I was trying to say.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What really matters in buying a new video card, assuming you're not getting lag when you play games, is the number of generations removed from current technology your old video card is. Most of the capabilities that the GPU has are hardwired, so whereas an old CPU can run a new program, an old GPU simply can't create certain newer visual effects (realistic fog and dirt have been a big ones lately, IIRC), so even if you don't max out the processing power of your old card, a sufficiently-newer card will be able to pretty up your games with visual effects that never appeared before.

9. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

I had a 9700 pro that wasn't doing the job I wanted it to do, so I picked up an X1600 Pro on Black Friday for $100. Sadly, you are 2.5 weeks too late for that.

With the 9800 pro, if it isn't failing you, I would try to wait it out. Why are you waiting for Vista to release to build a new machine? There is plenty of current hardware that is more than capable of running Vista (unless of course they make a 180 and do something ridiculous with requirements).

10. Gundam

Basically its a $$$ issue. Yeah I can build a rig now, but it'll probably cost $1500-2000. I'd rather wait for Vista to be out for awhile and build a decent rig for a bit cheaper.

11. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

whats the cheapest card to run 1600x1050? Need temporay card to save up for a good graphics card