SRS Agh, getting help isn't as easy as I thought . . .

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by suicidealKing, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Okay, so my alchoholism has become a serious issue and I've made the decision to get help. I had an appointment yesterday with a who I thought was a psychiatrist but turned out to be a social worker. The listing was terribly misleading, and while it was nice to get things off my chest I wasn't terribly impressed with the session. Around 6 months ago a close friend brought me to a different one who had plenty of pamphlets and info available, unfortunately I wasn't ready to stop then. Either way this lady didn't even reinforce my suggestion that it might be a good idea to start going to meetings and didn't even know that perscription medication existed that caused the body to reject alchohol.

I'm trying to find some one with a phd now, but for some reason most are only open during business hours which I happen to work (go figure). Worst comes to worst I can change my work schedule, but things are hectic enough as is.

Idunno, enough ranting, basically I was hoping some one could point me to a link of a directory of meetings, aa's site wasn't exactly too helpful. Also, I have a close female friend who very much wants to help me but doesn't know what to do, I remember the first social worker I saw had some info regarding what they can and can't do for someone suffering from substance abuse. If anyone can point me towards this info I'd appreaciate it.

Oh, more questions: What's the name of the pill in question I was talking about? Can a normal doctor give me a prescription if I explain I'm in therapy and going to meetings? This upcoming weekend is labor day weekend and I'd really like to have this as a failsafe since I may have too much time on my hands while everyone is out getting hammered at bbq's :hs:

2. Phish Esq.

Phish Esq. New Member

Look up AA in the phone book. They have volunteers working the line in your area. They will tell when and where any of the meetings are. You will probably get more out of meeting than individual sessions with a counselor, because as drunks we can all relate.
    Go to a meeting and announce yourself when they ask for newcomers, everything you need will be pretty much taken care of. You'll see when you get there. It's no biggie.
    Antabuse is the drug you're refering to. Any M.D. can perscribe it. You would have to talk to them to see if it is right for you.
    Good luck:wavey:

3. Alright, just had to dig a bit deeper to find a meeting. 10 minutes from my house, I'll definately be going tommorow nite. I'm sure I can get a refferal to a decent shrink from some one there.

4. K, local general pracitioner had an opening, so hopefully I can get a prescription for the long weekend. I figure it'd be important since I'm planning for this to be my first sober weekend in a long long long time. As far as finding a shrink I feel it couldn't hurt and may help deal with some deeper issues my alchoholism has been masking. My insurance picks up a good deal of it, so I figure it can only help

5. Phish Esq.

Phish Esq. New Member

Yeah, don't get me wrong, seeing a psychiatrist is a great idea. I use one also. I just meant for reaching out with your alcohism AA is great venue.

6. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

it's called antabuse... a lot of alcoholics of the type that need AA try it only to find out that its just a transferance of willpower from an 'in-the-moment' situation to a pre-emptive strike...

your only true defense against hte next drink is found in the fellowships of the AA. honestly.

7. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

wow, sorry to hear someone is hurting - but good that you are reaching out

no one mentioned that maybe you should plan on doing something other than your normal bbq's -

sometimes to stop drinking we need to change our playgrounds and our playmates and go to 12 step meetings to find new friends that want to live the way we do, not to mention that at 12 step meetings such as AA or NA, MA or CA even, the people understand where we are coming from, or else they wouldn't be there either

good luck on your search, read some of the other posts in Road to Recovery and you will have a better idea of how we all do it too

8. Shikado

Shikado David-Michelle-Edgar-Tony :wtc:

For your mental issue, try with your local county directly Operated Clinic. Some places are just private owned contractor with the county. They usually lacks of licensed staff.

9. Agh, doesn't look like things are getting easier. The stuid receptionist failed to tell me the appt she made the doctor with was in another office 30min away so that was a scrap. And I just got back from attempting to go to a meeting, but couldn't find the building, I must've went up and down this friggin street 4-5 times and couldn't find it. All the sessions that are tommorow afternoon look to be "closed". I'll call one of the main numbers tommorow on my lunch break to find a place to head to during work. I feel fine now, but the weekend it what's worrying me :hs:

10. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

im serious... go to some AA meetings with an open mind.

11. I'm tryin trust me. Like I said I'll make a call tommorow to find one that I can go to straight from work.

12. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

best of luck. PM me if you just need to talk. i'm willing to do whatever i can to help if you need it.

13. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

hope you're doing better - I'm out of town for the next week, but am concerned - AA, NA and others all have hotlines you can call, if they don't have time to talk to you and you're in a jam, they'll get someone to call you back.

Please remember to PM Nuke if you need help this weekend - best of luck