Aftermarket HU compatible w/ Factory changer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TL1000RSquid, Mar 11, 2005.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The head unit in my 99 exploder is having issues with the display sometimes working sometimes not. I'm looking to replace it, its made by Pioneer. How do I find out if an aftermarket unit will work with the factory cd changer? I'de really rather avoid having to spend extra money on a new changer.. Also I see Crutchfield sells an adaptor for like $70 to make an aftermarket unit work with the steering wheel controls does anyone sell them cheaper?

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

3. LuinHaden

LuinHaden Guest

It is possible, it all depends on if your factory changer is made by ford or a aftermarket company. For example... the new Scion have a Pioneer cd player option that says "Scion" on it and it will control any of the new Pioneer changers.

If it is made by a aftermarket company your in luck, all you will have to find out is a player that has changer controls that will control your changer.

If it is made by ford, you will have to find a factory ford player with changer controls.

Depending on what company made your changer, you may be able to get a RF modulator and run it through the antenna in your Explorer.

Im thinking your factory changer may have been made by Clarion or possibly JBL. But the more I think about it JBL did release any aftermarket changers for sale.... or did they.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ok thanks guys I will have to pull the changer out theres no company names are part numbers visible on it where its mounted I'll yank it out and see if i can find anything on it.

5. Dr.JuliusHibbard

Dr.JuliusHibbard New Member

Don't waste your time...there are no aftermarket decks that will control a factory Ford changer. You can add an aftermarket changer to some Ford decks, but not the other way around.