After weeks of lurking I have a few questions...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by WannaZO6, Aug 6, 2005.

1. WannaZO6

WannaZO6 There are 10 types of people in the world, the one

This forum is awesome, everyone helps each other out and the info on here is priceless. It helps to make the 10 million detailing products and websites less overwhelming by laying out what is good and what is crap. :bowdown:

Here is my plan for my 2002 Red Ford Ranger Edge:

Wash with NXT (purchased)
    Bug and Tar Remover (purchased)
    Claybar (purchased kit)
    DACP
    SFP
    EX-P or Meguirs Speed Glaze
    NXT paste wax or Meguirs #16

Is this a good plan? I am very open to suggestions. I want to get an expert opinion or 2 before I buy the last 4 things on that list. Also what should i use to apply/remove the last 4?

I have some swirls and a bunch bug/tar and i don't think it has ever been properly detailed. (I bought it about 4 months ago)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  2. Robb

Robb Guest

That sounds like a good plan of attack, however i would change the sfp and speed glaze around as the speed glaze works down pretty nicely, you may not even need sfp.

Id go w/ nxt paste as ive had great luck w/ that and it looks awesome.

If you havent purcahsed your products yet, you may want to order from Autopia Car Care Store , they have great prices and the best customer service.

to apply the last four i would use a mf applicator to apply and microfiber toweling to remove.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If you are going to use a PC, I'd go with Optimum Polish. With a cutting pad, it replaces DACP and with a polishing pad it replaces SFP or #80. One product, two pads, at least equal results.

I agree about NXT paste, really awesome product.

4. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

Red Ford Ranger /w NXT paste might make it look to cheap or unnatural, nxt looks good on a nice sports car. I would go with a good Carnauba Wax or a long lasting sealer then Carnauba as a topper. A good Carnauba will last just as long as NXT will.

If you polish it good enough to take out all the defects you won’t need to use the Speed glaze to cover up the defects. A glaze serves other purpose also and that it brings back oils to the paint, your truck is not that old and if you took good care of it I doubt you won’t need it for that.

I just put NXT paste on a newer red metallic Cadillac yesterday after 4 hours of taking out 80% of defects and gave it a good polish, looks real sweet. If I give it a 100% defect free and a great polish then I would have used a Sealer and Carnauba as a topper it would be one bad Cat but price played a roll

5. Scottwax

Speed Glaze is misnamed. It is more aggressive than #82 Swirl Free Polish. It will remove defects but you have to remember the trade secret oils will hide any remaining defects so you need to do a 50/50 water/isoporic alcohol wipedown to make sure the oils aren't filling anything. Basically, Speed Glaze is a swirl remover that finishes down like a traditional glaze.

6. WannaZO6

WannaZO6 There are 10 types of people in the world, the one

ok here is my revised plan

Wash with NXT
    Bug and Tar
    Claybar
    DACP
    SFP
    NXT paste wax

should i do anything between the SFP and the wax? it will probably be springtime before i can detail it again and i will definately be driving in the snow this winter.

7. Robb

Robb Guest

that sounds like a good plan, you will want to wax a few times during the winter, nxt isnt the most durable sealant around, its mainly for appearance. Other than that the process looks pretty good. Good luck

8. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

:werd:
    In this case I would definitely go with a sealant over a paste wax for longevity. Even then I would wash and apply another coat of sealant at least once before the harsh winter weather comes around.

9. Scottwax

Order a bottle of Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. Apply two layers of NXT (to ensure complete coverage), wait a couple days, wash, apply 845. Should be good for quite a while. You can maintain the shine with Optimum Car Wax, easy on, easy off spray with real durability. You will be fine until spring.

10. Robb

Robb Guest

Scott-optimum products that good? also you know anything about 21?

11. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Optimum products are VERY good......