After two months of troubleshooting, I am still unable to fix my computer. :wtc:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The Internet, Sep 18, 2005.

1. The Internet

The Internet New Member

It's beyond frustrating. I'm seriously considering returning ALL of my parts on warranty and doing a clean installation of Windows XP because I CANNOT isolate the damn problem. :hs:

This is what I get when I load certain webpages and scroll through them (ones that seem to require acceleration):

[​IMG]

Also, whenever I load a game such as Far Cry, HL2, etc, they hang as soon as a level begins. The computer doesn't crash, but the game is just "stuck" for several moments. It becomes "unstuck" periodically (for a split second at a time), but the game is still unplayable. I have had the computer for over a year, and these problems just started occuring over the last several months.

Has anyone else encountered these problems before? If not, I'll give a much more detailed explanation of all of the troubleshooting steps that I have gone through - though they are almost too numerable to remember/mention.

I may as well give you my computer's specs though:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    ASUS K8VSE Deluxe mobo
    2x 512mb PC3200 Corsair Value Select RAM
    Antec 480W Neopower power supply
    e-VGA 6800 GT
    Soundblaster Audigy LS
    1 WD SATA hard drive
    Mitsumi Floppy/Card-Reader combo drive
    Optorite DVD/RW

Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  2. Mi[G]hTy

Mi[G]hTy New Member

Have you tried reformatting?

3. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

Go post that pic on the eVGA forums. WShelly can probably help you :)

4. keleko

keleko yes, he is

replace video card

/thread

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Overheat?

I also suspect faulty video card.

6. The Internet

The Internet New Member

Yes. With only the necessary components (ram, cpu, vid card) in my computer.

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

does your motherboard have onboard video? if so uninstall your video card and try using that. still encounter problems?

if it doesn't have onboard, uninstall current video card and try using any other video card possibly that you KNOW works. still encounter problems?

8. The Internet

The Internet New Member

My first video card overheated for no apparent reason. My case has good circulation and I never overlocked the card. After a year of normal operation, it started hitting temperatures in excess of 95 deg. C under load... 70+ idle.

My replacement video card has been giving me the problems mentioned above... "static" on webpages, freezing games, etc (whereas my old card would just overheat to the point of shutting my computer down after extended gaming). The card seemed to work fine in another computer that I tested it in, however. It idles at a respectable 50 deg. C.

I then suspected that the problem could be related to my PSU (400W Thermaltake that came with my case), but I bought a 480W Antec Neopower to replace it - supposedly one of the best out there - and nothing was resolved. Unless I'm mistaken, 480W should be more than enough juice for my rig... especially when it is generated by a top-of-the-line Antec.

Here's why I thought that it could be PSU-related: by simply disconnecting the molex from my 6800GT and reconnecting it, my system would show no problems during the first boot-up. After turning it off for an extended period of time and then booting it up again, the problems would come back. At first I thought that this was a sign of a bad card. But then I tried pulling and reseating my RAM as well... it did the same thing as fooling with the molex on my 6800GT. Perhaps it could still be a card problem. Perhaps I got a faulty PSU.

I'm starting to suspect that it's a motherboard problem though, but the techs at ASUS think that I havn't explored all my options yet... even though I went through the trouble to check for a ground loop (which is an extremely annoying process). This leads me to also suspect that they could be assholes.

Oh, I'm getting a steady 11.712V on my 12V rail and 3.28V on my 3.3V rail according to ASUS probe... both values are within 3%.

9. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Looks like FUBARed video RAM to me.

10. The Internet

The Internet New Member

I don't have onboard video, but trying a different card in the board sounds like a good idea.

11. The Internet

The Internet New Member

Perhaps, but why would reseating my RAM "fix" the problem for one boot? :dunno:

12. The Internet

The Internet New Member

Another thing: I disabled "video acceleration" in Windows manually. I can scroll through problematic webpages without encountering static. Of course, I can't play any games with this setting on though.

13. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Hmm, looks like you have a VIA chipset. That's probably it.

14. The Internet

The Internet New Member

Are there inherent problems with VIA chipset mobos and the 6800GT? Or VIA chipset mobos failing from a hardware standpoint? My comp ran fine for a year on a VIA chipset before crapping out, but I won't rule that out.

15. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

VIA in my experience has the worst compatiblity out there. They just suck. Do you have the latest drivers from them?

16. The Internet

The Internet New Member

Yep. Latest 4-in-1 drivers.

17. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

VIA has a bad rep but these days they are ok. NForce is still bettah tho.