After reading the sticky, I'm still unsure about certs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Necromancer, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I don't want to be a pest but hopefully some of you can clarify some things for me.

I've always been pretty computer savy for the least and I've decided it's time to take course in my future and go into the industry, considering how rapidly it's growing and developing. I understand certs will get me no where without a degree or experience (in college now and looking for a stepping stone to get my foot in the door job) I am still unsure which certs I should aim for in the long-run but short-term speaking, do I just start on my A+ and Net+ certs then go from there?

:noes: Just looking for advice.

2. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

I'm wondering this too. I'm plannning on taking the A+ first.

3. gnp

gnp New Member

its pretty subjective, but as someone who has both a+ and net+ i would say that they are worth slightly more than toilet paper. I took them while in school mainly b/c i figured it would help, in the end the only thing that really matters is experience which is quite funny b/c no one wants to hire anyone without it.

just get the degree and try to find a way to get some real experience in whatever it is you want to do. i took a couple of really shitty programming contracts to begin with, but they were what really helped me get a decent gig in the end.

4. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

or join the Air Force... they'll take anyone and you'll end up with atleast 4 years of experience.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

if you want money and a nearly guaranteed job get a cert in networking security.

to get that start with some job in networking, get CCNA, continue working in networking and gravitate toward routing/switching while you're learning whatever you can about security. Study. Take a few practice CCSP exams. Get CCSP. Earn $90k (approx base salary).

6. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I read that security is a big thing now. Thanks for the info, I'll take a look into it. So Should I start off getting a networking cert/degree?

7. 7960

7960 New Member

CCNA is the entry level networking cert and you'll need it for two things

1. to see if you actually like it
    2. it's a pre-req for CCSP

The hard part is getting the hands-on experience because it's doubtful you'd pass ccsp by just reading a book.

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

To the OP, pursue something that interests you. You never know where it'll end up. I had a burning need to learn how to support desktop hardware so I started with A+ but never got certified. Loved the training tho and then started learning Network+. Then I started into MCSE but it wasn't what I was looking for....then I discovered programming and holy shit...I was hooked. I actually went back to Uni for a second degree.

IMO neither certs nor a degree guarantee you a job but they certainly can't hurt either. I think everyone should study something that interests them becasue that interest may help carry one through difficult times in their education.

There are certs for any area you're interested in. I once found a tech book with over 300 certs and it pretty much covered everthing! lol

9. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

That's exactly what I'm doing now. I start SNRS in mid april, then SNPA last week of April.

Do you have your CCSP now then? Also, is your user name the model of a Cisco IP Phone? If so, why not the 7971? Color display, touch screen...

10. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Very cool. Thanks. So just skip the A+ and Net+ certs all together, they won't be of any help on paper or on the job?

11. 7960

7960 New Member

they won't hurt, so if you're in the process you might as well finish them

the problem is you're where to get a job where you can learn routing/switching if you don't have any experience...so many people start in IT and work their way toward network administration. If you end up working in IT for a bit A+ and Net+ will help get that job, and then get the company you work for to pay for your CCNA (~ $3k for a few weeks of training, another $100 for books, another $125 for each test).

12. 7960

7960 New Member

CCNA, CCIP, Wireless CQS, CCSI. I hate when people say "I'm working on..." but you asked, so I recently started working on CCDA and CCNP. Should be done this summer.

I've been around longer than that :hs:

13. 7960

7960 New Member

going in a completely different direction, if you enjoy explaining stuff to people find out what it takes to get a minor in education (it was actually called a certification in my state when I got mine).

It'll probably take 4 classes plus student teaching. Use that education certification to get a job in corporate training. I did it for 8 years and loved it. I got to go all over the world (14 countries, I think) and stayed in each place for two weeks (so I had nights and at least one weekend free for sightseeing).

It's not all travel, either. I was teaching in the home office 50%, off platform (not teaching but still home) 25%, and on the road 25%. It really was a fantastic job.

14. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

I'd love to pick your brain on a few things... :p

I have my NA and DA, good luck on the DA and if there's anything I can assist with... :wavey:

So then, what's the 7960 for?

15. 7960

7960 New Member

Thanks...PM whatever questions you have.

The older line of IP phones...the ones I as installing when I signed up here.

16. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I was thinking along the lines of something like that.