SRS After living in SE Asia for 2 years....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HoVa, Jul 27, 2009.

1. HoVa

HoVa New Member

I've been able to understand and become more tolerant of people from all different sorts of cultures and backgrounds.

In the end, people are all good inside. Its just a shame that the environment leads us to compromise our values all in the name of survival.

Its really a miracle that the US has never really seen much hardship and that the leaders are really serving the people and not themselves.

2. amac88

amac88 New Member

Yes, people bitch about how bad the US is now, and while its no utopia, its ALOT better than most if not all third world countries. Go to the Congo, Vietnam, Ecuador, etc. and youll see what real corrupt government and real poverty are like.

3. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

Tolerance, tolerant, tolerate, etc.
    Most people take these words for granted. Thinking of other peoples' culture, background, ethnicity, upbringing, etc as something that needs tolerating is rather arrogant. I know that's not what you're trying to get across, but that's the way that word comes across in this situation. It implies that you're somehow inconvenienced by their existence, but you're nice enough to permit them to carry on with what they're doing despite that.

I'm not coming down on you personally, I see plenty of people use these words in this way, I just think the undertones ruin the message. A rather specific petpev of mine.

4. nebulous

nebulous all it took was a blow to the head OT Supporter

so what is a better way to communicate what he is trying to communicate? is there a way to talk about this issue without being pretentious?

5. Pond Scum

Pond Scum New Member

So, because the US is better than most other countries, Americans should just accept their corrupt government and not do anything to try to improve it, or raise awareness to the problems?

L-A-M-E.

Transparency International has listed the most corrupt nations of the world. Each person can decide for him, or herself how accurate the list is. I say it is fairly accurate from my reading, but my lack of personal experiences from traveling and doing business in other countries makes my opinion moot. I would love to get the opinions of well traveled people on this list............

http://www.diggersrealm.com/mt/archives/001668.html

This list ranks the US as the 17th LEAST corrupt nation, but we have since fallen to 20th.

So, since 20th least corrupt nation isn't that bad I shouldn't bother to show my disgust on why we are not the number 1 least corrupt nation? I should just keep my mouth shut and not worry if the US continues to become more and more corrupt, simply because there are a lot of nations that are worse?

What is up with you people?

6. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

Words like that create an artificial hierarchy. Intended or not, it places those he's trying to relate to at the bottom, as if to look down on them like they've done something wrong. Omitting words that create this separation would be ideal.

7. nebulous

You didn't really answer the question. Phrase it in a way that doesn't do that. I think it's impossible, prove me wrong though.

8. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

"I've been able to better understand and accept people from all different sorts of cultures and backgrounds."

Fixed.

9. nebulous

I don't see how "accept" is any better than "tolerate"

who are we to accept anybody?

10. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

If you don't see the difference, then you've missed the point I made in my earlier post. You're implying undertones to the word "accept" that don't exist. Even if they were there, just remove "accept". Then what?

11. HoVa

HoVa New Member

The US is also one of the largest democracies with a very diverse population.

Of course, no machine ever works 100% efficiently, but this one works pretty damn well..

12. HoVa

HoVa New Member

It could be tolerate or accept, either way is fine with me.

I think you're squashing ants and calling it a massacre.

13. nebulous

oh, but you see, that is exactly my point my homie. Don't you think that you could have been reading undertones to his use of the word "tolerate" that he didn't intend?

14. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

You're right. You could tolerate or accept; however, the too words don't mean the same thing. This has nothing to do with exaggerating claims. I just feel the word doesn't best describe your sentiment. I'm not about to tell you how you feel about things, but I will tell you that the word tolerance isn't a synonym for understanding and acceptance.

15. nebulous

I agree with what you are trying to get at. I just think that if we are too sensitive, we can always something negative in what somebody is trying to say

16. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

I'm implying meaning based off the meaning of the word "tolerance". If he didn't mean that, then another word should be chosen.

17. nebulous

maybe so

18. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

It's not a matter of sensitivity. Just say what you mean. If the word "tolerance" accurately describes the sentiment you feel with regard to foreigners and their culture, then use it. It's definitely not a word I'd be proud of using to describe my relation to the rest of the world based on ethnicity, race, culture, etc.

19. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

According to OT, yes.

20. 7960

7960 New Member

:fixed:

ask anyone who's educated and you'd probably find a slight, but significant, difference. many times "OT" replies "there's corruption, overthrow the govt!" ignorant assholes may think that's a solution, but in reality I'd say most people believe we should embrace what works and fix what's broken.

21. GammaRadiation

Name one time in history that a corrupt government became uncorrupt and the nation was successful afterward. I honestly dont know, but I cant think of anything off the top of my head. Of course, I'm no history buff either.

22. 7960

7960 New Member

so you're including yourself in your "According to OT" reply? because you just indicted the entire govt as corrupt.

thanks for proving my point.

my point was that the entire govt is not. there are pieces that work, there are pieces that don't. what I said before and I'll say again is that we should be working to keep the pieces that work and change/fix/remove the pieces that don't.

23. GammaRadiation

not at all, but I'll give merit to the argument.

Basically the problem with American government is the politicial party. However, our freedoms allow for the organization of people with one common goal. Taking out human nature, you have a good system. Basically, it is a self destructing system when you add human nature to the equation. This is going to happen with all known forms of government.

24. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I was born/raised for 15 years in SE Asia, I think that has contributed to how I see the world now that I have lived nearly 12 years in USA.

25. Julius

Julius Guest

great point. i want to strangle americans who feel that politicians are serving themselves rather than the people, because they have no idea how bad shit can get.