After lifting, I crash. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Virtualmikey, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virtualmikey

Virtualmikey OT Supporter

Been lifting for about 2 1/2, 3 months now. Been running for years.

After I work out, I stretch, shower, take my creatine with some gatorate/water, and drink a protein shake on the way home. By the time I get home (maybe 1/2 an hour later) I feel like I'm on a sugar crash. I'm so hungry I can't even think.

I know the general idea behind trying to put on good weight. Less carbs, more protein, small meals through the day. But when I get home in the evening, I almost can't help but gorge myself on pasta or something. Then I feel better.

I feel like I'm taking one step forward then two steps back doing this. I burn calories at the gym, trying to lose a little weight around the middle, but then I get home and eat like a fat hog because I feel like I'm starving.

Any suggestions on what I can do to avoid that crash? I'm hoping some of you guys get that and have a way around it.

*Cliffs* - work out, die of hunger, pig out on carbs, feel stupid about it. Suggestions?

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

add some carbs to your PWO shake......I use 2-3 scoops of protein and 1 big scoop of gatorade....

edit: gatorade scoop sizes vary depending on the size container.....when I say 1 scoop it's the scoop from the big one (3lbs 3 oz of powder)

3. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Just limit the amount of food you're eating ? PWO I could eat for hours too but I just prepare something in advance. Pasta is easily overeaten too, the "normal" quantity is so tiny that I prefer to not eat it at all.

4. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Your body is craving carbs PWO and tossing something like gatorade, which is easily digestible, in the mix is a great way to give your body what it wants. Also, as AP said it is a good idea to pre cook or measure your after workout meal to prevent overeating.

5. Virtualmikey

I felt like a dumbass last night. I got home from the gym, starving as usual, and I opened up the fridge. What did I see? A huge container of leftover penne with alfredo.

I ate the whole thing. I'm such a fat pig. (not really, I'm about 5'11, 195. I just feel like one, which is the whole point of me working out now)

6. Drewski

Drewski New Member

I found juts have Gatorade PWO made me hungry again relatively soon PWO (insulin crash?). I added oats to my PWO shake as well, and now I find I don't get hungry for a long time, perhaps because the oats flatten out the down slope of the insulin response?

7. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

What is your peri-workout drink?

i.e. what do you have DURING your workout? Maybe sorting that out would stop your spiking and crashing.

Also, add more complex carbs - as stickfingaz said, oats are more satiating and they also give you more long lasting energy.

8. Virtualmikey

When you say oats, you mean just a handful of uncooked oats in my protein drink? Like what, quaker oats?

Hey, if it'll help me not pig out after I get home, then I'll try it.

9. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Yup, those oats.

What you can do is blend them when they are dry into a fine powder. The powder mixes better than the whole oats and you don't feel like gagging when you drink it.

10. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

Why do people take creatine after working out? Does that do anything?

11. Drewski

Drewski New Member

yup, regular large flake oats.

I give them a quick hit with my hand blender. to break them up a bit. I prefer bigger bits to powder cause they also help mix up the powder and keep it from clumping I find

12. Virtualmikey

Cool, I'll throw a handful into the food processor tonight. Sounds better than having a protein shake (which isn't bad, but not exactly a chocolate malt either) with the consistency of flu vomit.

Not crashing like a methadone junkie tonight FTW!

**Thanks for the good advice guys, this forum is SO much better than the main forum. Fuck, even I turn into a retard when posting up there.**

13. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

Creatine

If muscle strength or increase is a goal, creatine monohydrate can indisputably play a role. Sodium and glucose are involved in creatine transport, thus, if you are consuming a post-workout drink with sugars and electrolytes, you have a rare opportunity to expedite creatine transport. So, when considering an optimal post workout formula, you should seek out or create a liquid mix of glucose and fructose, sodium and potassium, L-glutamine (or glutamine peptides) and creatine monohydrate. You can add L-glutamine and creatine to a post-workout Gatorade or Powerade and you'd be on the right track . . . . but there's more. During exercise, cortisol production is increased. Cortisol facilitates muscle breakdown, thus, during exercise, you are breaking down muscle tissue. In order to repair and replace the muscle, now broken down into amino acids by cortisol, you must take in a complete array of essential amino acids. Complete proteins are not going to be ideal post workout. They'll take too long to work their way through the digestive tract, and since amino acids can be transported into the bloodstream along with glucose, you'll miss out on the enhanced transport post-workout opportunity.

http://www.philkaplan.com/thefitnesstruth/Postworkoutrecovery.htm

14. Drewski

Drewski New Member

muscle energy demand is still high PWO, so creatine supplementation helps in recovery

15. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I prefer to eat though, and I eat a cup of cooked oats with whey mixed in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.