A&P After editing a set of photos on my laptop's screen, I think my CRT is dying.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CornUponCob, Apr 14, 2008.

1. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Bought my 22" NEC / Mitsubishi CRT fall of 2003. It hasn't given me any trouble, but when comparing it to my laptop's display (inspirion 1920x1200) it's amazing how much darker it is (plus a slight red tint). I run the monitor at 1920x1440 on a video card with a good DAC. Pixel sharpness at this resolution is GOOD but not excelent. I think the phosphors are dying on me. Monitor brightness is already maxed via the monitor. Computer brightness is set at default 50%. Going higher than this makes things look more washed out than brighter.

With that said.... I had been saying I wanted to replace my monitor with a 30" forever, but I just don't think I can justify the price. I also still play computer games but I'm not willing to invest in enough video card power to run games at 25XX x 1600. I think 2 x 24" LCDs is the way I want to go.

One of my housemates recently got a Samsung 2493HM and it looks quite nice for around $460. Using the monitor in portrait orientation is EPIC for web browsing, PDF reading, browsing winamp and AIM. If I had a dual monitor setup I'd probably try having one portrait and one landscape (plus my desk isn't large enough to arrange both in landscape anyway).

I'm not looking for EIZO quality or anything. Would most of you say most of the 2nd and 3rd generation 24" monitors out there are very similar?

I guess the main factors in my decision are

1. GOOD (not amazing) color quality
    2. GOOD (but not amazing) response time
    3. EXCELENT luminosity uniformity (my laptop is noticeably brighter on the bottom edge and it's slightly annoying).
    4. $500 or less (after any applicable discounts).

For the record I always just considered Dell, but there's no reason why I shouldn't consider other brands.

2. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i have a dell 2407 wfp and im not impressed by its black levels at all. a black screen looks grey

3. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

i have the 2407wfp, its hot.

5. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I did a direct side by side comparison between my laptop and desktop today... I was shocked. CRT was so dim and had a reddish cast that I couldn't correct on my own.

I bought the Dell 2408wfp (their newest one with 1300:1 contrast ratio and a supposed 110% color gamut) after much deliberation. If I like it enough I'll get a 2nd one down the road.

6. free_notes

free_notes New Member