SRS After a Job Interview....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dreammachine, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Dreammachine

Dreammachine The face is everything

I had a job interview on Friday. I think it went relativly well.

And after the interview i sent a thank you email, as well.

well now it's tuesday and I haven't heard back.. so i decided to call, I called and i got the awnswering machine which makes me beleive they didn't want to talk to me. Becuase A different girl awnswers and i asked to speak with the interviewer and then i got music and then her awsnwering machine.

I have just a call centre job now and i hate it I wanted this job more then anything.

the anxiety and self defeating attitude after the rejection is really tough. There is still a chance i might get the job but i really don't think so..

does anyone have any advice.. ?? to just deal with rejection or to not think about the job. It's really frustrating after 5-6 months of searching for a job relating to my education.

2. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

Job hunting sucks. I hate it. But rejection is part of life. I think the most effective (maybe the only?) way to learn to deal with it is to experience it over and over. So go out, stick your head out of your comfort zone, and expect to be rejected. The point is to get used to it without having your heart set on success. That later makes it easier to take rejection when you really want the outcome in your favor.

3. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

You went just last Friday?

No, you're likely not to get a call back until the 11th or so at the earliest. If you call and pester too much you're ruining your own chances.

You sent a thank you email. Good

You left a on their answering machine today. Um.... OK. But don't do it again. Let them contact you.

The fact you haven't heard from them is good. If an employer does not like you, they will usually immediately send you a letter turning you down if they don't want to deal with you.

Next week sometime between the 9th and the 11th give them one more call and ask to speak directly with the person who gave you the interview if possible. If you leave a message, just be polite and say that you are still interested in the position and would like to hear from them if they've made any decisions yet.

4. teo

teo . => ? => !

I don't see any reason to believe that you aren't still a candidate for the job. Here's why:

- Your interviewer was probably on the line with someone else when you called, or otherwise occupied. If your friends don't answer the phone when you call, do you automatically believe that they no longer want to be friends with you? No. They're probably busy doing something else. Leave a message, and they'll get back to you. If they don't call within a few days to return your call, follow up again. Don't call too often or you'll appear annoying and overexuberant to them.
    - You had your interview on Friday. It's now Tuesday - that leaves, at the very most, two business days between when you had your interview and when you followed up by phone. That's not that long - interviewers may have a large list of candidates and may take a while to interview, shortlist and select candidates. When I applied for my current job, I went through 4 interviews including a 2h technical test - my point being that the interview process takes time.

It probably seems like forever to you because a. you really dislike your current job and this one looks even better by comparison, and b. you interviewed right before the weekend. Chill, relax, and put your best foot forward. :)

5. Dreammachine

Hey Guys, Thanks for the kind words.. I'll try to keep my head up and hopefully I can still get the chance to get the job.

keep the advice coming i love reading it :wiggle:

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Your job is not your life,remember that. Losing a job is not losing your life. What really matters = persevearance. Keep trying :wavey:

7. kakariko

kakariko Purple Member OT Supporter

A lot of companies take a really long time to get back to you.. For my existing job (in IT) the hiring process took a solid month and a half.. No joke.. So I know it's hard, but try not to let the anxiety eat you up. Good luck man.

8. Dreammachine

Thanks guys.. the optimism is great..

but it's defenitly hard.. as everyday passes and i still get no call. :wtc:

9. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

It's a long process. I used to hire for my former company and it takes a while to go through the stack of resumes and schedule interviews with the good candidates.

Add on to that, some companies will do 2nd interviews too. So you just gotta keep patient and continue looking. You're not lost on it yet, but don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

Show that you're still around, show that you're still interested....but don't be a pest. Keep your cool.

10. Dreammachine

how can i show that i am around and not be a pest..

it's now thursday and still no call :wtc: it's really starting to be frustrating at this point.. not sure how to keep my cool.. :hs:

11. Fred91GTA

Fred91GTA New Member

Eh, don't worry. I going through the same thing. What everybody said above was true. Just wait till around the 11th or 14th and then call again. Calling everyday would annoy the hell out of your hiring manager. I'm in the process myself too. I hate my job and am looking for another one. Job hunting definitely sucks balls, but if you keep plugging away at it, you'll get there eventually.

12. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

Oh yeah. My employer is notorious for this, but if it makes you feel any better, it took over five months from when I sent in my resume to when I actually got hired.

13. Dreammachine

Sigh, I still haven't heard back from them.. it'll be a week since i called tuesday.

I'll try calling again tommorw and see what happens but i don't expect anything

pray for me OT :wiggle:

14. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

This may or may not be helpful - but I will pass along something I learned a long time ago. First off, I agree that job hunting sucks. It is painful to sit through those "so tell me about yourself" interviews, but its a necessary evil for most of us who want gainful employment.

How are your interviewing skills? How confident and practiced are you?

Oh yeah - the advice: Apply and interview for jobs for which you may be qualified, but do not necessarily want. Why? Because it gives you a chance to hone your interviewing skills, it puts you out there to meet people who you might want to work for in another capacity, and, if they offer you a job it is a tremendous boost to your confidence.

The absolute worst thing that can happen is that they turn you down for a job you did not want in the first place, and you still have the one you are in. They might find that they want to hire you, but in another capacity that was not posted in the ad/bulletin board.

Sure, you are wasting the interviewers' time - but it's fight or flight, kill or be killed survival of the fittest in the employment world. And you have to do everything in your power to improve your rank in the heard, even if it is at the expense of the interviewers' time.

15. Dreammachine

:wtc: well I knew it.. I didn't get the job sigh..

i thought i did realyl well on the interview i guess not :(

16. page

page New Member

You may have done great, but there could have been a better qualified person that they interviewed.

Just keep chuggin along :)

17. teo

teo . => ? => !

Did you ask them where they saw weaknesses? If you want to do better the next time around, you need to know where your weaknesses lie so that you can address them.

Also - the 'better candidate' thing is true to some extent. Companies are not just hiring you for your education and/or experience. They also want to know that you're going to fit in with the team they have. In some places, they're actually doing you a favour by not hiring you for a certain role because you simply might not be the right person for that role in that team in that company.

Keep trying, and keep your chin up. I worked in a tropical fish warehouse doing grunt work for two years before becoming gainfully employed at my current job. It was worth the wait. :)