MMA After 4 months off...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by d0nk3ypunch, Oct 17, 2006.

1. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I finally start training again tomorrow. Going to check out a judo club that Ive heard good things about.

Sucks I couldn't find a bjj school... but you take what you can get on a tiny island I guess. They're supposed to concentrate on newaza quite a bit, so it shouldn't be too bad.

It's 3 times a week, and free to train, you pay a 1 time $20 fee to join the club and thats it. Hopefully I dont get what I pay for :)

2. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Good stuff man. I'm starting back up in a week myself. I took a few weeks off due to serious injuries then two days after I came back I dislocated my shoulder. It's been, I believe, two months for me.

What's the story behind the 4 months?

3. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Moved to another country

1 month later, mom goes to ICU, not expected to make it... so I fly home for 2 weeks, she lives, I come back to the island

1 month after that, mom has second stroke, I fly home yet again for 2 weeks, see her one last time, do all the funeral stuff

I've been back on the island about 3 weeks now. Between adjusting to a new place and going back to the states twice, I havnt had much time to think about training. It sucks too, the last time I trained was a few days before my fight... I've been fucking itching to choke someone.

4. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

wow, that must have been a rough four months... hang in there and train hard

5. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

And here I thought losing my first fight sucked :)

6. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I'm sorry to hear that man, I can't imagine losing my mother just yet and get emotional just thinking about it.

Good luck on your training, if you can't find a BJJ school, why not a boxing or kickboxing/muay thai school?

7. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

There are actually a couple of those... but they barely touch on groundwork. While my standup is the weakest part of my game right now... I still want to sort of ease back into training with what I enjoy best. Once my life settles down a little more i'll take up MT as well.

8. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

good choice with the Judo classes. anyhow, beyond the martial arts stuff, it's good to see you're hangin in there. Good luck mang, and if you want some good info check out judoforums.com

There's a few assholes there that piss everybody off, but overall it's a good site if you can look beyond all the bullshit. Good luck mang

9. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

My old bjj coach did judo 14 years before even getting into bjj, so I have a bit of previous experience. I actually got to a point where my throws were better than my single/double legs. As long as this place does enough ground work I'll be set.

I know in tournaments (or at least the ones I've attended) you could only attack with a blood choke or armbars, is that pretty typical or is it common to see leglocks and other stuff in judo gyms?

10. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

0 (zero) leglocks i'm afraid :(
    and as for chokes, blood/air chokes are allowed. No neck cranks are allowed though. As for Judo.......... our groundwork is nowhere near as refined as BJJ's, we spend only a short portion of time on the ground before the referees stand us up. It's a real pain in the ass...... there's a lot more scrambling on the ground as opposed to building upon moves to create transitions. But i'm almost positive that you'll find a newaza freak at your gym. In my dojo, mondays are straight up tachiwaza. On Wednesdays, we do 1/2 stand up and half ground work. On Fridays, we do all newaza.

It's a bit frustrating cuz in judo, the guard (especially closed) isn't as useful because like i stated before, if you're not doing anything on the ground for more than 10 seconds, you get stood up. With judo in contrast to bjj, there's a lot more muscle and explosive actions on the ground (in general) and therefore the groundgame isn't as smooth. It irks me sometimes, but hey; my tachiwaza is pretty good. I've held my own against a BJJ blue belt before (tapped out 3 times in 10 minutes - yeah i know, i got pwned, but still for a white belt judoka, it's pretty encouraging)

Do what's best for you though, if the place sucks shit; leave! if it's along the lines of what you wanna train, stick around. Judo's a LOT rougher on the body than BJJ. You'll pick up some injuries along the way, but seriously rest that shit. It's one thing to be dedicated, and another to get injured at the dojo.

11. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I've briefly blacked out from taking hard throws before... yeah, it sorta sucks. And yeah... i'm generally good about resting on injuries. the only one I've really ever had was when I had my knee tweaked in a heel hook, but I still took a week off to be sure.

You actually did pretty well against the blue belt. I tapped a judo black belt three times fairly quickly in a free roll and I'm a two stripe white in bjj. Mind you two of those were a toe hold and a neck crank :)