After 2 weeks with the DSi...

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by gui3, Oct 26, 2009.

1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

i have to say, it's pretty cool. a couple of things:

it feels 100 times better than the DSL. if you keep it clean, the matte finish feels great. the buttons are more clicky than the DSL (i guess you could say more "digital" than "analog") and so the response is better. it looks less like a toy and is easier to carry. my only problem with it, so far, is that the matte finish is getting a little bit damaged in my bag, particularly at the corners.

i ordered this shell for it: http://www.myincipio.com/category/nintendo_dsi/
    it's from the same company that makes my iphone shell; it's 1mm thick, very light, and very grippy.

Bowser's Inside Story is an incredibly fun game. a must-play.

the SD slot is basically useless, though it has amazing potential.
    the bundled music player is basically useless. needs a firmware update. the homebrew music players are obviously better, but you have to keep the DS flipped open, which means this won't be replacing my iPod.

i haven't bought any DSiWare yet, since there aren't any games i find compelling.

there's a free program called Flipnote Studio where you can make animated gifs, save them to the SD or upload them to this gallery site. it's fun:

[​IMG]

Ak2i, FTW.
    16GB MicroSD card, FTW.
    NDS, Genesis, Gameboy, SNES, and NES in a pocket - FTMFW.

2. Chitown B

Chitown B Active Member

the only thing stopping my from getting a DSi is you can't play GBA games on it, or even GBA roms since you need the slot.

3. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

You can play moonshell 2 closed

4. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

i get what you're saying, but i think it's unreasonable to require a console to support all its old formats forever. think about it - GBA was replaced by DS, which was replaced by the DSL, which was replaced by the DSi. would you expect to be able to play your NES games three consoles later on the N64? of course not. on the other hand, Nintendo has to keep backwards compatibility for a while because of the youngish user base. but still, gonna have to give up those GBA games sometime. or, i guess, wait until the next hack comes out.

i hear that the current DSi flash carts mimic the DSL, so none of the DSi features are available. i guess eventually they'll get access to the SD slot / etc.

that, i did not know. thanks!

5. Chitown B

Chitown B Active Member

I understand the reason, I just don't find anything about the DSi compelling enough to lose BC for GBA yet. I still have old GB games I can emulate on my DSlite that I need to finish.

6. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

but i still like DSLs :naughty:

7. Skyline22GTR

Skyline22GTR OT Supporter

looks the same to me

8. deluxesquishi

deluxesquishi New Member

Yeah, I think the DSi definetly has improvements, but really when the GBA came out games got good. I think that Nintendo dropping off the GBA compatability is a poor choice. But then again, with the internet access and the SD cards they will probally have us able to download the games soon enough. Everything is now becoming buy off the internet :p