MIL Afraid of heights :hs: Is basic going to rid me of this problem?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Changed, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Changed

Changed Guest

I have been afraid of heights my entire life. 2 summers ago I spent a week in the Swiss Alps, climbing and hiking with a friend... I was scared shitless then, and my fear of heights since then has not gotten better.

Has anybody been in the same boat when they headed to boot? Im sure somebody has, I just need the reassurance from somebody else b/c I'm really afraid of heights. :sadwavey:

2. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

what boot or basic are you going to

3. Changed

Changed Guest

I have yet to sign any papers, or even decide between the two, but either Marines or Army.

4. eter

eter New Member

one of my instructors had a serious fear of heights.. yet he overcame it throughout his career and rapelled and climbed the netted cage on the obs course just like everyone else. there will be situations where you have to fight it, thats for sure, don't expect never to have any problems with it, but know that it is possible to get over it.

5. Changed

Changed Guest

ok, I just wanted to know if it is going to seriously hinder my ability to be successful

6. eter

eter New Member

depends entirely on how you face it... testing for phobias is part of how they gauge you in boot.

7. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

There was a kid when I was at boot when were were on the rapell tower that was hyper-ventilating (sp?) and was drooling at the mouth and shit just because he couldn't handle the height. It was no big deal, you're pretty secure. I was kind of afraid but whatever. You'll get through it. Heights are pretty :cool: and never seem to lose their "aweness".

8. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

You will have to overcome your fear in basic. How you handle it will determine how hard it will be.

9. Changed

Changed Guest

allright...

I have dont a bit of cliff diving around here... ony like 20 or 30 feet. I climbed up the 40 foot cliff, but once I got to the top, I realized what kind of mistake I had made :mamoru:

10. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

I have a friend who is airborne and apparantly almost starts crying because of his insane fear of heights once the plane goes up and he realizes he's about to jump out of it, but he gets out of teh plane everytime, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The training that the army/marines give you is exactly for your fear of heights. Not to scare you, but to conquer your fears. Thats all that repelling and and jumping off of stuff that the army makes you do is for... confidence building.

11. bassjunky

bassjunky I'm baaaaa-ack!

If you are afraid of heights, you are afraid of heights. I don't think you will ever get over it. I was scared shitless my first jump in Airborne school. After awhile, you learn to control that fear and use it to your advantage. No matter what they tell you; fear can be used to your advantage, it keeps the senses sharp. It was my friend in Afgahnistan and Iraq....but YOU have to control it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  12. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Don't expect basic to cure you of that.

I was pretty nervous on the rappell tower. It took me a couple "ANY DAY NOW"'s to finally do it.

13. Changed

Changed Guest

I hadnt ridden a real roller coaster until my senior year in high school (Im finishing my second year of college right now) and two hot girl from my class were like "lets go on this roller coaster, we'll never see you again".. Anyway, I jumped on the coasters, and I loved the thrill. However, all that didnt cure my fear of heights :o