Affordable Home Theatre

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Super(man), Dec 24, 2005.

1. Super(man)

Super(man) New Member

Alright... So we are renovating our house and adding a decent size basement to the back of the house. Anyways, in the basement I have plans for a little home theatre for myself (I am only 16, but anyways...). I am already planning to purchase the Infocus Screenplay 4805 Projector, but am in need of audio equipment.

Right now we have a 43" Samsung DLP which is a decent TV and it's just in a small living room. I have something sort of like this,

http://www2.panasonic.com/static//LargerPhoto/SC-HT05.jpg

But it has a 5 disc dvd changer and 800watt subwoofer (I know... home theatre in a box, junk). It does the job for now.

I'm tight on money for the audio, and I'm just 16 so I know later in life I'll get myself a bangin sound system. But for now, I need to know what is a decent 5.1 surround sound receiver that does the job well? I love bass so what should I look for for a subwoofer? Any help is appreciated.

2. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

For a receiver on a budget my first choice would be Denon, since even their cheap models are built to good quality standards. You can't really go wrong with Yamaha, Onkyo or Harmon Kardon either.

For a sub, I'd recommend 10 or 12" woofer, that has a frequency response of at least down to 30 HZ, and a 100 watts RMS or better amp. I'm not a huge fan of the mass market speakers/subs you buy in stores, and if you can afford $350 for a sub, the Dayton Titanic MKIII sub kit from Partsexpress.com is awesome, I've built my own custom subs using the same driver, and it'll stomp most anything you can get in a store at price ranges many times higher.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

4. Soulfire

Soulfire No Pain, No Gain

Marantz > Denon

Sorry fellas.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

marantz=not as affordable and much harder to find

6. johnson

johnson New Member

$220 - Panasonic XR55K receiver
    $300 - Athena AS-B1 and AS-C1 (two pairs of B1's and a C1 center)
    $??? - Subwoofer of your choice.

For a subwoofer, you can make one at home and since youre re-doing the house, youll already have all the tools you need. Go to www.partsexpress.com, then projects, and find something you like. The bigger the room, the bigger the woofer you want to fill it up.

7. Soulfire

Not anymore. They went into distribution. As for price I am not sure what your talking about. They have comparably priced units starting at around 400 something for the SR4600 I think.

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

last time i checked they just seemed to be more expensive on average maybe i wasnt looking close enuf

9. Soulfire

They are owned by the same company FYI.

Its just that the marantz amps are better than the Denons. Marantz also have much better remotes and interfaces for their recievers.

Don't get me wrong. Denons are good recievers, but Marantz for the equal price is better.

10. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

D&M Holdings is also the owner of Boston Acoustics, McIntosh, ReplayTV, Rio and Escient brands in addition to Denon, Marantz. That being said, im pretty sure that they do not share any parts, manufacturing plants, etc.