affirmations... anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by driftwell, Apr 18, 2007.

1. driftwell

driftwell New Member

So as a part of my conquest towards self-improvement, I started looking into self-affirmations. From my limited research on it, I basically have to convince myself of my own sayings and just fake it til i make it kinda thing. Just keep telling myself until I believe it.

So far... I just feel stupid, cuz deep down it's just not hitting me or making any changes and I feel like i'm just trying to fool myself.

Anyways... this all started when I got to that one part in "the Game" where style gets hypnotized.

I too want to believe that I'm invincible, height doesn't matter, woman love me, i have a larger than life personality, etc...

thoughts? suggestions?

2. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

It works to some degree. Like the little engine that could "I think I can, I think I can..."

Or when you walk up to hit a ball in baseball and you keep telling yourself that you are going to hit this ball out of the park to pump yourself up.

I think it is more efficient though to rework the way you think. What I mean is:

You get shot down with a girl (I know your question wasn't about girls, just using this as an example), so you ask yourself "Why am I such a loser?" - Your brain will start listing all the reasons you think you are a loser.

But what if instead of asking that you asked yourself "What went wrong there/What did I do right/What could I have done differently?" something/anything positive. Because whatever you ask yourself your brain will answer. Eliminate the negative thoughts and you will get the same results you are trying to obtain.

3. driftwell

driftwell New Member

that's a very good idea... i believe it's called re-framing?

the only thing about that is it's more of a reactive type of thing... i'm looking to be pro-active :)

4. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Active Member

I think it's very effective. Keep at it. It sounds lame, but if you fake a smile long enough you do start to feel happier. Internal thoughts can have similar effects.

It is a re-framing. An conscious attitude adjustment. Sometimes you need to get some outside influences to really make it happen, but it works.

5. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

It works. I do meditation each morning and self-affirmations. Look at guys like Mohommad Ali... pretty much everything the guy said was a self-affirmation.

6. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson New Member

it works... if you believe its going to work

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

lol

I hear it takes 21 days for something to become a habit. So maybe it takes 21 days for an affirmation to kick in, too.

I dunno. I've thought about trying it, but I always forget. lol.

8. NCS

NCS Active Member

nothing is a magic recipe for success

affirmations do work, but they dont work on their own.

you have to start to believe it then use the affirmations to reinforce that belief, or vice versa. in other words, it has to become internalized.

so lets say you want to feel more confident. think about a time when you did feel confident, concentrate on that feeling, then use your affirmations

9. driftwell

driftwell New Member

yenno... i used to do something similar right before a gig... i'd go back to an extremely confident feeling i had and correlate that with pounding my fist to my chest twice... i'd be ready to rock my set after i did that..

i don't do it anymore though... and come to think of it i don't know why i stopped

10. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

NLP crew, is that a form of or concept from NLP?

11. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson New Member

it's like the most fundamental concept from NLP, it's called anchoring. Dude you really don't pay attention to anything you read, do you?

12. purebad

purebad I don't need your approval, right?

could someone explain what exactly the process is for this?

13. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

Personally, I just put myself in the emotional state of already having what it is that I want to manifest.

IE: If I want a new job, I meditate and visualize myself being extremely happy because I just got my dream job. Don't just 'pretend'... you have to FEEL it. Bhuddist monks say that feelings are prayers. What you feel is already in the process of becomming.