WEB Affiliate Marketing question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Statik, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Statik

Statik I am The Redworm.

Ok guys, I have a question or three for you guys in regards to affiliate marketing. I know that you guys are not going to tell me which wigets you promote, as that is something I know that I figure out....but fill me in on the steps that you take for the more quick and dirty affiliate marketing. All of my research shows that the way to start this is to make a blog, get a huge following and then start with affiliate marketing. I have seen a few of you guys do some quick turnarounds with products because you guys believe that they are hot products for marketing...... (and no my goal is not to get rich quick, this just looks like a very interesting way to suppliment my income, and from what I see, if done properly, can be done with not a shitton of effort once the tricks are learned)

I know it's not as easy as:

1. Find a product
    2. Become an affiliate
    3. Post the affiliate link
    4. Profit

From what I'm seeing is to be successful at it, it goes something like this, and for the sake of anonymity, lets call this product our "widget"

1. Find our widget that is hot right now with a good commission and no heavy market saturation (ie cell phone ringtones), become an affiliate
    2. Perform some type of check on google/yahoo for niches or long key search terms (I believe they are called)
    3. Purchase a unique domain name for our widget (ie www.hotnewwidget.com)
    4. Write up a good landing page that is SEO friendly based on key word search terms, and uses the affiliate link to the widget site, and host it at low cost host.
    5. Using AdWords, purchase search terms (the objective is to have low cost-per-click) to link to our landing page
    6. ????
    7. Profit

Just trying to learn the basic process of Affiliate Marketing that can be done with a diverse amount of products so as to have the opportunity to not put all of my eggs into one "niche market"

Thanks in advance for any advice/information, just want to get some opinions from the guys in the trenches.

:x:

2. hank85

hank85 sudo shred /dev/sda -f -v -z --iterations=6

Is this a question or an educational post? :p

You hit the nail right on the head man.

3. GamerAsh

GamerAsh SKATE crew

Well to be honest I thought I was actually going to see a newbie question. However what you basically did is gave yourself the answer. :rofl:

4. fl0rine2

fl0rine2 New Member

Couple of additions:

1) Analyze as much information as possible with regards to where the user is coming from (which keywords, etc.), conversion rates, ROI, CPC, etc. A popular (free) tool that people use can be found here: http://prosper202.com/apps/
    Keeping good data will save your ass over and over.

2) Don't underestimate the power of having free visitors. A lot of people jump straight into PPC and don't really think about ranking in google's organic results. You can pull a good chunk of traffic from ranking in the organic results if you have some good quality content as well as links to back up the authority to that content.

If you are good at coding...I would suggest going down the route of trying to get some organic traffic before you pump money into some campaigns because you will surprise your self with what you can do with a little bit of thinking outside the box.

I haven't had much time recently to mess around with affiliate marketting because of school, but I did a lot of blackhat stuff in order to grab more traffic. Like I said, if you are good at coding you should seriously look into going this route. Whitehat people get pissed at blackhat tactics, but old school blackhat tactics generally become mainstream whitehat tactics before too long.

3. Once you have a reasonable amount of experience, don't be afraid to try promote products in the saturated niches. If you play your cards right, when you do make money, you will make a lot.

4. If you find a niche that you excel in, you can almost always negotiate better payouts from your affiliate manager. Since the affiliate networks are competitive, most will do all they can to not lose an affiliate who is pulling in a lot of leads. This is as far as I have gone, but I have heard that after a while affiliates have even gone directly to the company itself for the product they were promoting in order to negotiate a better deal and cut out any middle men. Like I said though, I don't have any experience here to know what I'm talking about or how to do that.

Anyways, good luck and hope some of those may have helped. :hsd:

5. Statik

Statik I am The Redworm.

Yeah, been on OT long enough to not ask some dumbass question without doing my own research......I wanted to see if my thinking was going down the right path is all. Thanks!

6. Statik

Statik I am The Redworm.

Thanks as well, any insight to this is definitely appreciated. Seems that most of the affiliate networking forums are more geared for the somewhat experienced people, and tend to more look down on noobies. Going to start looking into your response #2....but have any type of links for reference or something you know can get my research spun up a bit faster. Not great at coding, but I am an IT dork and can figure things out somewhat quickly.