MIL Afast- How do i prepare?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by shiba, Apr 3, 2006.

1. shiba

shiba Active Member

I'm going to Take the AFAST this week and i was wondering if anyone can give me some idea of what to expect and to prepare for. thanks.

2. burton564

burton564 New Member

well if you are gonna try to take it without studying you are pretty much fucked. its not an easy test by any means, you need a 90 to even apply to flight school and thats not gonna be so good either. i studied for a good 6 months prior to taking mine. its been a few years so i don't know if its the same still, but mine had math, principles of flight, and some general mechanical knowledge shit. good luck

3. shiba

shiba Active Member

what kind of math? principles of flight looks pretty simple.. Friggin officer swore to me that it was a piece of cake.

4. burton564

burton564 New Member

Its not difficult by any means, but if you want a decent chance, then you don't want a passing score.

5. shiba

shiba Active Member

yeah i looked at the DA 611-256-2 pamphlet and saw nothing that would require extensive studying. This is both a good and bad thing because it could either be real easy, or that this pamphlet is a POS. Is there anything else i can look at?

6. burton564

burton564 New Member

i bought one of those study books from a bookstore, i don't know really if the test has changed. i'm the newest pilot in my unit, so i don't even have anyone to ask. check the date on that da pam and make sure its semi up to date. i was looking at a TAMMS manual the other day from 1994 or some shit like that. It was still on the shelf next to the new one from 2005

7. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

I have taken the AFAST twice. Once in 1998 and again in 2004. I scored a 129 the first time and a 138 the second time. By regulation a person is only allowed to attempt the AFAST once if they receive a passing score, but due to me not keeping my original test results and the Army no longer having a record, I am in the Air Force now, I was allowed to retest. If you fail on your first attempt you are allowed one retest.

Now that you have that little tidbit of useless history on me let me say that the AFAST is not a hard test. Go to a bookstore and purchase a study guide. Become familiar with cyclic orientation and instrument comprehension. Do not waste to much time on Helo knowledge as it is a very minor portion of the test. Over half of the test is a psych eval. Pay close attention to the questions. Do some studying, get a good nights sleep, and take the test.

http://www.wfu.edu/academics/arotc/afasthelp.html

This is the book I used.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0768910293/ref=nosim/002-7539207-9755265?n=283155

Do not purchase this study guide. Read the reviews.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076454103X/002-7539207-9755265?v=glance&n=283155

Military Flight Aptitude Tests (CliffsTestPrep)

8. burton564

burton564 New Member

see i was young and naieve when i took it, so i studied for months and months

9. brackac

I would rather study to much than not enough. :bigok:

10. burton564

burton564 New Member

well it paid off, but i'm gonna tell you that you don't need to be smart to fly helicopters. you need some coordination though i'll tell you that much. but then again thats probably why i still sit left seat

11. brackac

:rofl:

If I could just get the shoulder healed enough to do a PT test my packet will be ready to go.

12. burton564

burton564 New Member

you pass your flight physical witha busted shoulder?

13. brackac

Yeah, I had surgery the second time in January due to the body rejecting the titanium from the first surgery back in July. It was deemed complications from the first surgery and not a reoccuring injury. Since I have regained 95% of motion I am considered "healed". I just need to build the muscle mass back.

14. shiba

shiba Active Member

Well i took the exam today and it was ok. I wouldnt say it was easy, but you had better be quick to think. The questions are simple but still required some thought and there was one section where i missed the last 10 questions because there just wasnt enough time. overal i think i did quite well, but i won't know for sure till i get the results.

Btw. u were right that half the test was psych eval. How do they grade those questions becaues it dosent seem as if there is a right or wrong answer to them.

15. brackac

They didn't give you the results immediately? Are you currently in the military are a civilian?

Also there is a right answer. You just have to know what they are looking for. You have to answer the questions as a team player but a leader, as a outgoing person but not someone that takes unusual risk, and someone that is logical and passionate but not overbearing. Being in the military for 7 years prior to taking the test the first time drastically helped me because I understood the military thought process.

16. shiba

shiba Active Member

I'm prior service in the rotc program. The officer who administered told me he would email me the results.

17. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

I have heard that flying a helo is like trying to balance a dime on a ballpoint pen.

18. shiba

shiba Active Member

i balance quarters..... on quill pens.. :eek3: